"New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past" Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans by VeronicaG

New Orleans Travel Guide: 4,214 reviews and 7,301 photos

A Long Weekend in the Big Easy

WELCOME TO MY NEW ORLEANS PAGE!

A return to New Orleans in November 2011 was a real delight, I'll be posting a new tip or two. What a charming place to spend a holiday!

A visit to New Orleans this past November (2008)was a pleasant experience. The city is overflowing with history! I applaude the courage exhibited in efforts to rebuild after Hurricane Katrina's appearance. Tourism is slowly creeping up once again, but not to the levels experienced before large sections of the city were flooded by the surge following the storm. We found the residents welcoming and appreciative that we came to spend our time and money here. I would encourage one and all to visit sometime in the future.

As we flew into New Orleans, we passed over Lake Pontchartrain--I had no conception of its size--this is a vast body of water! One couldn't help think of the damage the lake wrought as it reached flood stage and inundated the city via the canals. Although the 'mighty' Mississippi river flows by New Orleans, it was contained within its banks and did not cause the deluge experienced.

The French Quarter district was spared from the damaging flood, so awaits like a Grand Dame exuding charm and appeal. Royal and Decatur Streets were lined with lovely shops, impressive galleries and high end antique shops. Canal Street seemed to attract the young and restless generation with its booming music and bright lights. Bourbon Street with a reputation for rowdiness, plugged margarita's and lured adventurers into its bars with live bands and dimly lit interiors. While the rambling mansions on St. Charles Street gave us a glimpse of the 'American' migration to New Orleans, City Park exemplified the heroic determination of its citizens to restore a public greenspace to its original beauty.

We spent most of our time here exploring historical sites, doing a little christmas shopping, dining at a celeb chef's restaurant, enjoying a lively evening of jazz and sampling an unfamiliar cuisine....it was a wonderful experience, but I must add one caution. There are certain parts of the city away from the tourist districts that require one to be cautious and perhaps to avoid altogether. Ask your hotel for their input regarding these areas, they'll be forthcoming and extremely helpful!

A last comment...it was a rainy weekend, so some of my photos tend to be lamentably lackluster.

• Last visit to New Orleans: Nov 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 6, 2011

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Fabulous page Veronica! Great tips too. I especially liked the painted buses .... how cute :o) Enjoyed the read. Cheers, Ann :o)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Such a lovely and interesting page that it certainly makes me dream of returning to New Orleans for another visit! Happy Birthday!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
      Aug 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Thanks for visiting, Sylvia. I need to update this page since our visit of last year. You would love it, I'm sure.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Thanks for your story, Veronica! Interesting trip....

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Your "Razzle Dazzle" title lured me into your travelogues. . . all three of which are wonderful glimpses into the atmosphere of the city. Good work!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2009 at 3:32 AM

Thanks for your ratings on my Deneysville &Bangkok page and for your very informative New Orleans tips.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Thx for the Mardi Gras info - greetz from belgium

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 6:07 AM

New Orleans is the ONE place I would love to visit in USA.It has it ALL!! Confectionary-Antiques-Mardi Gras- Perfume! LOL! I would go bankrupt. Thanks for sharing. I will be back for more.Great tips.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Veronica your tips are just so great. Reading about the wonderful restaurants makes my mouth water! Boy, they really know how to cook in New Orleans! Great hotel tip too!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Hi Veronica- re-read your New orleans tips again --- it does have so much to offer - I did bring the twins on the Mardi Gras before Katrina and we had fun as well...we have to go back, Norman :)

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I watched the movie B. Button and the storry is happening in New Orleans. Very interesting destination.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in New Orleans

Have you been to New Orleans?