"New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past" Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans by VeronicaG
New Orleans Travel Guide: 4,264 reviews and 7,453 photos
WELCOME TO MY NEW ORLEANS PAGE!
A return to New Orleans in November 2011 was a real delight, I'll be posting a new tip or two. What a charming place to spend a holiday!
A visit to New Orleans this past November (2008)was a pleasant experience. The city is overflowing with history! I applaude the courage exhibited in efforts to rebuild after Hurricane Katrina's appearance. Tourism is slowly creeping up once again, but not to the levels experienced before large sections of the city were flooded by the surge following the storm. We found the residents welcoming and appreciative that we came to spend our time and money here. I would encourage one and all to visit sometime in the future.
As we flew into New Orleans, we passed over Lake Pontchartrain--I had no conception of its size--this is a vast body of water! One couldn't help think of the damage the lake wrought as it reached flood stage and inundated the city via the canals. Although the 'mighty' Mississippi river flows by New Orleans, it was contained within its banks and did not cause the deluge experienced.
The French Quarter district was spared from the damaging flood, so awaits like a Grand Dame exuding charm and appeal. Royal and Decatur Streets were lined with lovely shops, impressive galleries and high end antique shops. Canal Street seemed to attract the young and restless generation with its booming music and bright lights. Bourbon Street with a reputation for rowdiness, plugged margarita's and lured adventurers into its bars with live bands and dimly lit interiors. While the rambling mansions on St. Charles Street gave us a glimpse of the 'American' migration to New Orleans, City Park exemplified the heroic determination of its citizens to restore a public greenspace to its original beauty.
We spent most of our time here exploring historical sites, doing a little christmas shopping, dining at a celeb chef's restaurant, enjoying a lively evening of jazz and sampling an unfamiliar cuisine....it was a wonderful experience, but I must add one caution. There are certain parts of the city away from the tourist districts that require one to be cautious and perhaps to avoid altogether. Ask your hotel for their input regarding these areas, they'll be forthcoming and extremely helpful!
A last comment...it was a rainy weekend, so some of my photos tend to be lamentably lackluster.
We happily discovered Bistreaux on our last day in New Orleans as we were wandering around the streets hoping to visit... more travel advice
New Orleans' graceful structures ornamented with the characteristic iron balconies are eye-catchers. The historic marker... more travel advice
- See All Stop by the Tourist Information Center
- See All Just Be Careful
- See All Shops At Jackson Square
- See All Bus Art!
VeronicaG's Related Pages
New Orleans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two Visits - 54 Years Apart"
- "new orleans louisiana"
- "The Naughty Madame"
- "New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
- "Crescent City Comes Calling"
- "THE BIG EASY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Orleans
- Hotels in New Orleans
- Transportation in New Orleans
- Nightlife in New Orleans
- Restaurants in New Orleans
- Shopping in New Orleans
- Warnings and Dangers in New Orleans
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Orleans
- 61 Reviews
- 125 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to New Orleans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Orleans
- Wrote a Review French Bistro Style--At the Maison Dupuy Hotel about Bistreaux - Maison Dupuy Hotel in New Orleans Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "French Bistro Style--At the Maison Dupuy Hotel"
- updated a New Orleans Travel Page "New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
- Posted in Travel Chile Forum "Re: Family in Chile"
- Commented on one of ATXtraveler's New Orleans travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue