"Family Friendly And Fun--Rehoboth/Dewey Beach" Top 5 Page for this destination Rehoboth Beach by VeronicaG

Rehoboth Beach Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 167 photos

Rehoboth/Dewey Beaches & Family Fun!

Lovely family beaches, fun activities for everyone and no state tax--halleluia, it's Delaware!

Last summer (2004) we wanted to rent a beach house for a family gathering we were planning. A friend told us about Rehoboth/Dewey beach, so we began researching the area. We discovered very quickly the difficulty of finding a house the size we would need. Four generations of my family would be represented and that required five bedrooms.

We settled on a large home near the beach in Dewey. This was the perfect house--it would sleep 10 people and was available for the week we needed. In fact, it was the only week available for the house. I felt like it was meant to be!!

Our multi-level rental had two decks which faced the ocean. Each morning and evening one or more of us would find our way to these decks where we would sip our morning tea or toast the sunset with a glass of wine. One morning we witnessed a group of dolphins frolicking in the surf; other days we watched wind tossed kites circling over the ocean.

Rehoboth/Dewey has many discount outlets. They are everywhere! We spent a good portion of our time combing these outlets for bargains. We were able to pick up a discount card at the Tanger outlet which gave extra discounts on specific days.The kids AND adults scouted for souvenirs to take back home. Restaurants were plentiful.

We were a bit disappointed by the Rehoboth Board Walk. It was pretty tacky, but frequented by vacationers looking for ways in which to spend their evening.

FYI, because Delaware does not have a state income tax it has become a mecca for retirees-- its sandy beaches and convenient shopping make it a great place to settle.

SHOVELSFUL OF FUN!

Kids love digging in the sand! Who can resist a shovelful of sand when the whole beach is calling to you? That afternoon they dug more than their share of holes!

The beach was almost private and we had the run of it much of the time. One night my husband and I took a long walk on the beach--the murmur of the waves and the distant lights made it so romantic. The salt air was refreshing after a hot day in the sun.

FAMILY VACATIONERS

This vacation came together surprisingly well.

Our son's family had to fly in from Chile, my mother flew in from Pennsylvania, my brother flew in from Haiti and my husband and I, our daughter and grandson (who were living with us at the time) were able to all work our schedules to coincide with everyone's visit to enjoy a family vacation together at Rehoboth/Dewey area.

The real blessing here...there was one house available that was large enough for all of us on the ONLY week that everyone was available to come together. We had a terrific visit!!

• Pros:Clean sandy beach, family friendly, shopping
  • In a nutshell:A great place to take your family!
  • Last visit to Rehoboth Beach: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2006

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Looks very nice... I heard about that place....

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2009 at 7:30 AM

Hi Veronica, I am always attracted to the beaches. Great tips you have for the children too.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Another visit to this delightful page! I love the way you made sure there was something fun for everyone to do while creating lasting memories too!

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 8:31 PM

Hey, I lived up the street from Dewey/Rehoboth in Dover, DE. But we only went to Dewey, and pretty much avoided Rehoboth! Joe

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 7:30 PM

Family wonderland! Very warm page, gives me smiles :-)

• Travmad's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2006 at 7:01 AM

Thanks for the wonderful tips.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2006 at 7:46 AM

Looks like the family had a wonderful time. I agree the Boardwalk is a little tacky but I still love to walk it. I have spent many summer hours on the Delware and Maryland shore resorts.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2006 at 1:11 PM

What a beautiful family! Looks like you found a good spot in Dewey. I agree about the boardwalk at Rehoboth.

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2006 at 3:37 PM

I need to go here! Delaware is one of only 2 states I haven't been to, and I read a book about the early colonization of Rehoboth awhile ago.... Twister looks fun :D

• kenmerk's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2006 at 10:10 PM

Yes, Veronica, dont believe the tour books.... Cairo cabbies are all sweetharts... ;o))) hope all is well in Dewey beach...

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Rehoboth Beach

Have you been to Rehoboth Beach?

Latest Activity in Rehoboth Beach