"MYSTIC SEAPORT--A seafaring village" Top 5 Page for this destination Mystic by VeronicaG
Mystic Travel Guide: 155 reviews and 498 photos
We love immersing ourselves in history! Mystic Seaport gave us an opportunity to visit a recreated seafaring village from the 1800's complete with historic buildings, period costumes, ships, carriage rides and ship building demonstrations. We climbed through the restored ships, walked the picturesque streets and dined at an old tavern for lunch.
The museum shop carried a vast quantity of nautical accessories, books, reproduction glassware and ceramics plus postcards and other souvenirs such as t-shirts, hats and mugs.
UPDATE: For special savings to Mystic Seaport AND Mystic Aquarium please see the website at www.mysticseaport.org.
Directions: Take I-95 to exit 90 onto Rt. 27 to Mystic, at the end of the ramp turn onto Rt. 27 S.
Mystic Seaport depicts a 19th century seafaring town in Connecticut. An entire town of restored buildings comprise the museum area. There are restaurants on the grounds, as well as a bake shop.
The seaport is opened Apr.-Oct. 9 am-5 pm and Nov.-Mar. 10 am-4 pm. Admission is $17.50 for adults; $15.50 for seniors,active duty military, college students with ID; for children ages 6-17 the cost is $12, 5 and under free. NOTE: half price tickets are available after 4pm. BE SURE TO HAVE YOUR TICKET VALIDATED FOR A 2nd CONSECUTIVE DAY FOR FREE!
Mystic Seaport is ten miles East of New London, Connecticut and one mile on Route 27. For more details see www.mysticseaport.org.
Mystic Seaport boasts of having the largest collection of historic watercraft in the world. One of the ships, the Charles Morgan, was built in 1841 in New Bedford, Massachusetts and is the last surviving wooden whaling ship. It was capable of holding a crew of 35 men and operated as a whaler until 1921.
Why did they hunt whales? Whale oil was used to keep lighthouses going, provided fuel for lamps, oiled machines in factories and was used for many other purposes.
Update on Mystic Seaport: According to Aol news (April 24,-06) several different groups of people have witnessed some sort of apparition in the lower level of the 165 year old whaling ship, Charles W. Morgan. The groups were from Massachusetts, Arizona and New York visiting within a week's time of each other.
Supposedly a man in 19th century clothing was seen working below deck, when no one was assigned to do so. This "person" had a pipe in his mouth and nodded at the people, but did not speak. It is being investigated.
- Pros:Quaint waterfront town; historic buildings; old ships!
- In a nutshell:Reminds me of New England!
Walk through the streets of Mystic Seaport, peek in the windows and visit the ship building complex. There is so much to... more travel advice
It was nice to be able to explore the old ships here at Mystic. Mystic Village promotes the fact that it has a... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Mystic Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yo Ho Ho, and a bottle of Rum"
- "A Nice Water Side Town"
- "MYSTIC SEAPORT--A seafaring village"
- "Many faces of Mystic....."
- "Mystic, CT"
- "Keeweechic's Mystic"
- "Exploring this historical town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mystic
- Hotels in Mystic
- Transportation in Mystic
- Nightlife in Mystic
- Restaurants in Mystic
- Shopping in Mystic
- Warnings and Dangers in Mystic
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mystic
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Mystic?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mystic
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue