Healdsburg Things to Do Tips by VeronicaG Top 5 Page for this destination
Healdsburg Things to Do: 46 reviews and 110 photos
As we followed the scenic country road from Healdsburg to Guerneville, clusters of trees and fields of grapevines passed by our window.
Signs announcing wine-tastings, sat like little soldiers at the end of long driveways. We stopped in front of one: 'Armida Winery, Tasting 11-5' , then ventured up the drive....
The grounds are very pretty with ponds and view of the valley (picture 3). There is a deck area for picnics and even a bocce ball court!
Since we wanted to visit Korbel's tasting room before 5pm, we had to keep our visit short, so after a quick look around, we continued on our way.
You might be interested to know that they recently received awards for three of their wines at the 2007 Los Angeles Wine and Spirits Competition:
2005 Maple Zinfandel, Dry Creek Valley--Platinum Award, Double Gold and Best of Class
2005 Poizin, Sonoma County--Gold Medal
2005 Il Campo, Estate Blend, Dry Creek Valley--Gold Medal
FYI: According to Armida's website, they were "voted the #1 tasting room in Sonoma, Napa and Marin Counties by readers of the NorthBay Biz."
Address: 2201 Westside Rd., Healdsburg, Ca.
A quiet public park is situated in the center of this picture-perfect town, where mothers and their small children and young couples enjoyed each other's company on this sun-filled day.
A bronze statue of a small boy clutching an American flag, stood at one side of the park as a tribute to those who lost their lives in World War II (picture 2).
A small walkway circumnavigated the area, taking one passed a few blooming bushes and benches. I pictured this as a great place to sip a tall glass of iced tea, nibble a cookie and read an absorbing book...in the shade, of course!
Address: Healdsburg, California
Directions: wine country
Friday afternoon in Healdsburg
As we planned our drive from San Francisco to wine country, it was suggested that we make Healdsburg the first stop on our itinerary. This part of Sonoma County is a less crowded destination than others, yet offers a variety of wine tasting opportunities.
We were pleasantly surprised in Healdsburg--the shady streets lined with unique little shops, some of which were topped with bright green awnings, numerous restaurants/eateries providing outdoor dining and friendly people everywhere, certainly contributed to making us want to spend time here.
Healdsburg would be a wonderful 'point of interest' for anyone traveling to this general area. Only 69 miles from San Francisco, I'm certain that you'd find it a worthwhile stop, too!
Directions: Healdsburg, California
As I perused the Russian River Wine Road brochure, sent as part of a tourist packet, I circled wineries near Healdsburg that looked interesting.
I researched a few online, finding that Hopkiln Winery was one of the oldest in Sonoma County. It's fine old restored hop kiln certainly was unique. Flower filled planters greeted us at the door, while a small pond glistened in the sun.
In 1880, Sol Waters purchased a ranch in an area where hops was a major crop. He decided to build a hops dryer in 1905, to be of service to the local farmers.
There were bets all around that the three story hop kiln would NOT be finished in time for the 1905 hops harvest. Surprisingly, the structure was complete in 35 days! It's three prominent towers, gabled roof and thick walls have become a landmark in this part of the county.
picture #2 wine tasting at Hopkiln
picture #3 a pleasant picnic area
picture #4 the catfish lake
Hopkiln produces Gewurztraminer; Sauvignon Blanc, non-oaked Chardonnay; Thousand Flowers (a blend of Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Chenin Blanc, Muscat Canelli and Sauvignon); an Estate Pinot Noir and two full-bodied reds: Big Red and Rushin' River Red.
Our grandson was directed outside to a basket of bread scraps to toss to the hungry catfish--they were huge! A very nice gift shop was on the premises, which held candies, crackers and cheese and bottles of wine.
Address: 6050 Westside Rd., Healdsburg, CA
More Reviews (12)
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Healdsburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Picture-Perfect Town--Healdsburg!"
- "A Less Crowded Weekend in the Wine Country"
- "Wineries Galore!"
- "Healdsburg, California"
- "2 Nights in Healdsburg in September"
- "Healdsburg - Former Prune & Hop Town"
- "One Night Stay in Northern Sonoma"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Healdsburg
- Hotels in Healdsburg
- Transportation in Healdsburg
- Restaurants in Healdsburg
- Shopping in Healdsburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Healdsburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pujon Hotels
- Roxana Hotels
- Antelope Island
- Oslo Hotels
- Cape Meares State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Healdsburg
- 16 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Healdsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Healdsburg
Photos in HealdsburgSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Healdsburg hotel reviews
- Madrona Manor
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Honor Mansion
- 570 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Best Western Dry Creek Inn
- 969 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Healdsburg
- 325 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Healdsburg Inn on the Plaza
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Raford House Bed and Breakfast Inn
- 326 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- The Grape Leaf Inn
- 261 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Haydon Street Inn B & B
- 302 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Les Mars Hotel
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Bella Vineyards- 1 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Chateau Souverain- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Yoakim Bridge Vineyards- 1 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Healdsburg Plaza- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Preston Vineyards- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Martorana Family Winery- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Zichichi Family Vineyard- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Dutcher Crossing Winery- 1 Reviews, 2 Photos