"A Picture-Perfect Town--Healdsburg!" Top 5 Page for this destination Healdsburg by VeronicaG

Healdsburg Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 260 photos

An Afternoon in Healdsburg

We departed San Francisco for wine country before noon, traveling Highway 101 North. This was a opportune time to see the countryside! The terrain appeared to be folded in some places, like an immense paper fan; a mix of flat valleys and rolling hills matted with brown grass and accented by the occasional tree.

We sailed by exits for Petaluma, Sonoma and Napa. In the distance, the Mayacamas Mountains appeared, just on the horizon. Pockets of congestion swallowed us up a few times as we journeyed towards Healdsburg, but for the most part our drive was an easy one.

Many wineries are clustered around Healdsburg, so for those wanting a taste of wine country, this is an ideal place to come for tastings. Dry Creek Valley, Russian River Valley and Alexander Valley, prime grape growing areas, surround Healdsburg, the first stop in our trek through Sonoma County.

Its impeccable streets, cute little shops and friendly citizens made us want to stay for a while.

• Last visit to Healdsburg: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 6, 2007

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Excellent Healdsburg page. I visited Armida Winery recently and have still have a bottle of their Poizin. Looks like I will have eat at Madrona Manor sometime.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 2:06 AM

Really interesting page with excellent tips and photos. The Madrona Manor is stunning. Coming originally from SA, which has a huge wine industry, I found the wineries tips very interesting to read.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Lovely page! Ahh..wine country, a great place to visit. Excellent tips and I enjoyed the tour.

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Very detailed and well-written information on Healdsburg. There are so many wineries in this county. Now I learn something from you. I can consider the place in the near future. It looks interesting!

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM

The Madrona Manor & Inn look beautiful. Your amazing restaurant tips make me hungry.......yummm Thank you for the virtual tour of thsi lovely wine region.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Somehow during my years in Berkeley I never managed to get up to Healdsburg or the Russian River. It looks like a lovely area.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 2:31 PM

Usead to canoe the Russian River as a kid. put in at Healdsburg - looks a bit bigger. Nice tips.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2007 at 7:10 AM

Looks like a lovely place to visit if I ever get back to the San Francisco area, love the Madrona Mansion!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2007 at 8:56 AM

Seems like a perfect combination of wineries bookstore and what looks like perfect weather = enjoyed my virtual tour!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Madrona Manor [all three tips] sounds just fantastic! The Hopkiln and Armida Wineries seem great places to stop and sip. Your photographs are terrific; your introduction is excellent, and your descriptions are always topnotch. A pleasure to read.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Healdsburg

Have you been to Healdsburg?

Latest Activity in Healdsburg