"The Awesome Beauty of the Grand Canyon" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon by VeronicaG
Grand Canyon Travel Guide: 934 reviews and 3,113 photos
The luminesence of the Grand Canyon's distant ridges and the myriad shades of blue,purple, pink, yellow and white added an etheral quality to this awesome wonder the days we visited.
The sky was overcast, but the sun peeked out now and then to cause shadows that darkened the scuptured, wind blown rocks or to spread buttery colors over the surfaces. I had never seen anything more beautiful!
The Grand Canyon is said to have been created 5-70 million years ago when the land began to recede. Geologists can't quite pinpoint its creation any more accurately. But they do know that through time, the land lifted up and the river rouged downward slowly and persistently.
The Grand Canyon extends for nearly 300 miles and is one mile deep. People have been inhabiting this area for 10,000 years.
We were lodging in Tusayan in order to get an early start each morning. In spite of this, the major parking lots at Mather Point and other nearby sites were already full. We chose Desert View Drive (E. Rt. 64) as our first point of interest. There were many stunning views from these overlooks! I would certainly recommend taking this route.
Pipe Creek Vista, views of Walhalla Plateau,Vishnu Temple and Grandview Point where a steep trail takes you into the canyon's depths and Moran Point will reward you with exceptional scenery.
The Tusayan museum and its small ruins are a welcome distraction, before you head out for more million dollar views afforded at Lipan Point, Navajo Point and the historic Watchtower at the end of the drive.
Another foray took us to Grand Canyon Village, the Rim Trail and Hermit's Road where we surveyed the canyon from Mohave Point, Powell Point and others. Sometime during one's life, a visit to the Grand Canyon is a "must". It's here where you truly see God's hand at work!
Reservations are made a year in advance for this historic Grand Canyon Hotel. Unfortunately, we didn't plan far enough... more travel advice
Countless warnings stress the importance of drinking enough water while exploring the canyon. It's easy to get... more travel advice
- The Grand Canyon in Film
- See All Dinner at Grand Canyon Village
- See All Mohave Point--A Chance of a Lifetime!
- See All A Box Lunch at the Canyon
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Grand Canyon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HIKING THE GRAND CANYON - WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!"
- "The Awesome Beauty of the Grand Canyon"
- "Canyon Dreams"
- "Grand Canyon - West Rim"
- "CARVED BY THE COLORADO"
- "Grand Canyon from the air"
- "The path less trodden"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Canyon
- Hotels in Grand Canyon
- Transportation in Grand Canyon
- Nightlife in Grand Canyon
- Restaurants in Grand Canyon
- Shopping in Grand Canyon
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Canyon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Canyon
- 35 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Grand Canyon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Canyon
- Posted in Travel Chile Forum "Re: Family in Chile"
- updated a Grand Canyon Travel Page "The Awesome Beauty of the Grand Canyon"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bobcat--Another Resident of Arizona"
- Wrote a Review A Historic Grand Canyon Hotel in Grand Canyon Hotels
- Commented on one of kymbanm's Grand Canyon travel pages
Photos in Grand CanyonSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue