"Flagstaff--Ancient Ruins, Craters & Painted Desert" Top 5 Page for this destination Flagstaff by VeronicaG

Flagstaff Travel Guide: 396 reviews and 769 photos

The Ruins of the Sinaguan Culture

Arizona's ancient Indian ruins were both amazing and mysterious since very little seems to be known regarding the disappearace of this native culture. This people group is collectively referred to as Sinaguan. Some believe they were absorbed by the Hopi people.

We had the opportunity to visit several of these historic pueblos scattered about Arizona and found them fascinating!

Wapatki National Monument, Montezuma Castle and Walnut Canyon contain ruins in various stages of preservation. Considering how much time has passed, it's remarkable they are still standing.

As we walked the trails surrounding these ruins or stepped inside a pueblo dwelling, we knew we were glimpsing the remains of a culture we wanted to learn more about.

Sunset Crater and Meteor Crater

Sunset Crater seemed as though it was formed yesterday as we followed the trail up and around hardened lava flows, moulded cinder hills and devastated terrain that had experienced tremendous upheaval over 1000 years ago.

Meteor Crater sits in a desolate, protected area of Arizona and was the training ground for astronauts headed for the moon. It remains a scientific tool for all that it has revealed about meteors.

The Painted Desert

As we drove among the ruins, the Painted Desert seemed to shimmer in the distance with its pale colors against the harsh landscape.

• Last visit to Flagstaff: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2007

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

An excellenct page, thank you so much.This is very helpful when planning a trip.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Thank you for the thorough detail you presented to guide us to what and why to see sites; plus the pictures are very professional

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Flagstaff is certainly a great tourist destination with lots of tourist attractions such as the lovely Wupatki National Monument especially Wikoti Ruins and the Citadel. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• Jan 26, 2009 at 5:03 AM

Excellent picture from: Wupatki National Monument

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2008 at 9:06 AM

I did not know about these volcanic eruptions more than 1000 years ago until I found your Flagstaff pages. I hope I can find the place when I visit Arizona in the near future. Thanks.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Great page Veronica!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Fascinating texts and photos about the ruins, lava flows, museums -- this area seems to be rich in genuine attractions. Amazing to think how those folks must have lived in their pueblos a mere thousand years ago, before and after the volcano eruptions.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Those cliff dwellings are impressive! I will be sure to remember not to make the big bull mad by using my flash should I ever make it here ;-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2007 at 1:33 PM

Marvelous work, Veronica. Really a star-worthy group of tips that are detailed, helpful, well written, and, best of all, quite interesting. What a grand trip you had in the area. Great shopping tips, too. [grin]

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2007 at 5:21 AM

Beautiful braclet, Veronica. A very interesting page about the Painted Desert and Ruins.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Flagstaff

Have you been to Flagstaff?