Caribbean and Central America Off The Beaten Path Tips by VeronicaG Top 5 Page for this destination
Caribbean and Central America Off The Beaten Path: 25 reviews and 24 photos
Our grandson at lovely Labadee
It seems many cruiselines have their own private beaches which you'll visit sometime while you're at sea. Royal Caribbean offered Labadee, Haiti--a virtual paradise. I'm sure unlike anything the typical Haitian gets to experience.
We arrived by tender and were welcomed to the beat of island music. Since we were among the first to leave the ship, we had our pick of shady spots in which to set up our lounge chairs.
Several old ruins which could be seen along the shore became background to the beachgoers, making quite a contrast.
The first order of business was to rent two floats and snorkeling gear. Our grandson was eager to snorkel and this was his first chance to do so.
The water in several shades of blue, green and torquoise was clear as crystal. Small white fish danced around our feet as we eased ourselves into the smooth water, for there were no waves here.
Please see my additional pics:
picture 2 A musical welcome
picture 3 The ruins and the beach
picture 4 Heading to the bbq
picture 5 Whirling Haitian dancers
After some length of time, we were called to a bbq for lunch while Haitian dancers spun to music and acrobats propelled themselves into the air. A man from this troup who had come from Cap Haitien, ignited a torch and ran it up and down various parts of his body. I didn't care for this demonstration, but I did enjoy the energy from the dancers and acrobats.
Snorkeling in Labadee
Snorkeling was offered at just about every port, so our grandson tried this sport out at Labadee. This location also had parasailing and jetskis available.
Although we planted ourselves on the first beach, a water playground for kids was located further up the shore which looked like it would have been alot of fun.
After the BBQ, we discovered a surfing beach with a large sign announcing the possible appearance of sharks, barracutas, jellyfish, sea urchins and other creatures (picture 2). No, don't think so! Since calmer seas appealed to us, we returned to our original beach.
A 'market area' near the BBQ hut carried carved wooden masks and figures, straw handbags or totes and paintings which were for sale (picture 3)
More Reviews (39)
- See All Tulum Beach at the Ruins
- See All Shopping in Grand Cayman
- See All On a Hot Day...You'll Want To Stop Here!
- See All Tour the Island by Van
- See All High Energy Entertainment
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Caribbean and Central America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SAILING THE CARIBBEAN ON GLASSY SEAS"
- "Caribbean Cruise: A True Form of Luxury"
- "Welcome to the Caribbean mon!"
- "Cruise Update: Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean"
- "Cruising through the Carribbean!"
- "Backpacking through Central America"
- "Central America and Caribean by luiggi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caribbean and Central America
- Hotels in Caribbean and Central America
- Transportation in Caribbean and Central America
- Nightlife in Caribbean and Central America
- Restaurants in Caribbean and Central America
- Shopping in Caribbean and Central America
- Warnings and Dangers in Caribbean and Central America
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Explore the World
- Star Island Hotels
- Green Bay
- Ballyboden Hotels
- San Marcos Hotels
- Vacoas Hotels
- Manchester Off The Beaten Path
- Gozo Off The Beaten Path
- Dana Point Off The Beaten Path
- South Haven Off The Beaten Path
- Edinburgh Off The Beaten Path
- Marco Island Off The Beaten Path
- Other Place to Go
- Andalucía Off The Beaten Path
- Baku Off The Beaten Path
- Ecuador Off The Beaten Path
- Southport Off The Beaten Path
- Leiria Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Caribbean and Central America
- 41 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Caribbean and Central America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caribbean and Central America
- Posted in Travel Chile Forum "Re: Family in Chile"
- updated a Caribbean and Central America Travelogue "ON BOARD PHOTOS"
- Uploaded a Photo to "ON BOARD PHOTOS"
- Wrote a Review Tulum Beach at the Ruins in Caribbean and Central America Things to Do
- Commented on one of garridogal's Caribbean and Central America travel pages
Photos in Caribbean and Central AmericaSee All Photos (99)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Caribbean and Central America hotels
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Montego Bay Hotels
- 231 Reviews - 465 Photos
- Negril Hotels
- 432 Reviews - 967 Photos
- San Juan Hotels
- 694 Reviews - 2269 Photos
- Runaway Bay Hotels
- 85 Reviews - 187 Photos
- Ocho Rios Hotels
- 270 Reviews - 636 Photos
- Trinidad Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 97 Photos
- Providenciales Island Hotels
- 159 Reviews - 656 Photos
- Puerto Plata Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 231 Photos
- Port-of-Spain Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Tobago Hotels
- 59 Reviews - 132 Photos
- Santo Domingo Hotels
- 427 Reviews - 944 Photos
- Curaçao Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 709 Photos
- Kingston Hotels
- 108 Reviews - 175 Photos
- La Romana Hotels
- 58 Reviews - 101 Photos