"Oahu--Exquisite beaches and Ethereal landscape" Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu by VeronicaG

Oahu Travel Guide: 4,109 reviews and 10,146 photos

Our Glimpse of a Tropical Paradise

Our 7 1/2 hour flight from DFW to Honolulu seemed to stretch on forever, but in reality it was a brief jaunt from the busy Metroplex to Hawaii's ethereal landscapes.

The first day would be spent adjusting to the five hour time difference. In spite of this, after unloading our baggage at the Hilton Prince Kuhio Hotel and settling in for a few moments, we felt re-energized and grabbed a cab to Kahana-moku beach.

This beach fronted The Hilton Hawaiian Village, where assorted restaurants and great shops made visiting a multi-faceted experience. Visitors could enjoy the calm beach, sip a glass of wine, shop for souvenirs and enjoy a pleasant meal by the ocean. We visited this area several times during our visit to Oahu. If you are traveling with children or teens, I would highly recommend lodging here.

During our vacation to this lovely Pacific island, we booked a few guided tours, used cabs to reach our selected sites and took the opportunity to rent a car to experience parts of Hawaii located further outside Waikiki and Honolulu. Driving along the narrow roadway with the Pacific Ocean lapping on one side and looming mountains on the opposite side made for an exhilarating experience.

Since our hotel was only a few blocks from Waikiki's popular Kalakaua Avenue, we enjoyed many evenings in this exciting district. There was a definite contrast between the upscale shops and familiar restaurants to the souvenir stands, street musicians and silver painted 'statue men' that lined the avenue, as well.

Oahu, with it's cloud shrouded mountains, gorgeous beaches and historical sites was a glorious place to vacation. We hope to return to visit some of Hawaii's other islands, for we have lost our hearts here.

• Last visit to Oahu: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 16, 2008

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Wonderful places to pay a visit and t enjoy!@ Thanks for sharing, Veronica!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2009 at 3:37 AM

As I opened your Oahu page , I went "OOOHHHH!" beautiful water!!!!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Beautiful Oahu pics and tips -- I can't believe I still haven't explored Hawaii! I have to go someday....but I think I have tasted this poi sweet before....Thanks for sharing, Norman :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Excellent tips. Hope to visit one day, looks like we need a bit of time, so much to see & do.

• Karlie85's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Great tips! I just booked my first trip, staying in Honolulu beginning of Dec., and your tips seem very helpful. can't wait to visit these beautiful palces in person!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Looks like you had a fabulous visit to Oahu! I wish it were closer to Chicago, the flight time makes a quick trip impossible :-(

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Very interesting and picturesque page! I feel you spent a very enjoyable vacation on this lovely Pacific island. Unfortunately a few chances to see it with my own eyes. Thank Veronica for sharing!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2008 at 6:18 PM

What a lucky grandson you have. This looks like a perfect vacation spot for a family with a lovely mix of things to do to suit everyone. You make it sound so inviting. leyle

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Veronica, fantastic page with brilliant photos. Great mixture of interesting memorials and lovely beaches. Oh, and I must admit that I have never heard of Poi, it looks delicious though.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2008 at 7:52 AM

I enjoyed reading your detailed and informative tips! The beaches sound great, and I'm sure I would also be moved by the military sites. I was surprised about the Hawaiian Royalty sites. I never knew there was still (or again?) so much to see of them.

VeronicaG