"Eze-A Medieval View of France" Top 5 Page for this destination Éze by VeronicaG

Éze Travel Guide: 207 reviews and 640 photos

A Mountaintop Castle

Visions of lords and ladies flashed through my mind as I viewed Eze Castle from below. The ancient castle, affixed to the top of the mountain, stands 1400 feet above sea level.

Fortunately, our trek began mid-way up this precipice, but still challenging to legs and lungs as we heaved our way to the top.

Once there, the vista stretched before us as did many circuitious paths weaving this way and that. Long years ago, these were alleyways which serviced the castle and the buildings the village occupied. Now, they are small boutiques, art galleries and cafes tucked here and there about the place.

The pretty Chapelle de la Sainte Croix begs a look as you drift along the pathways, passed flower festooned walls. The views are spectacular from this aerie!

A small dog scampers by us, leash dragging behind. Not to worry, a shopkeeper assures us that he belongs here and tends to roam every so often.

It's so easy to imagine you belong here and that time has slowed to a crawl. A leisurely cup of tea or glass of wine detains you those few extra moments...then it's off to the real world once again.

Interesting shops at the end of the stairs

Climbing to the Heights

• Last visit to Éze: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 9, 2009

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Gorgeous opening photo! Your page brings back memories of the few hours we spent there. Nice page!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Hi, Veronica! Thanx for your nice story!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Nice that Éze reminded you of Rapunzel, a story that my little grandsons always want me to read to them whenever I come over.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2009 at 9:47 AM

How exiting to see such a beautiful place. Your tips and photos are so detailed and helpful. Thanks and have a great day!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Not sure I'd make it all the way to the top but it looks as the climb has its rewards. BTW...could it be bougenvellia on the walls?

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Did you walk all the way up from the train station? We walked all the way up trying to burn off some of those calories from the ship's buffets and it was quite the hike!!!

VeronicaG