"Algarrobo,Chile--A Respite From The Summer Heat" Algarrobo by VeronicaG

Algarrobo Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 61 photos

The Chilean Coast In February

Algarrobo is a small town by the ocean in the Valparaiso district of South Central Chile. It's a popular place for summer homes, but new apartments and condominiums are trying to keep up with the demand for property here.

We came for the weekend and stayed at The Hotel Pacifico, which is located across the street from a number of typical beachside shops. Inexpensive souvenirs are what mostly fill the shelves, but there are some nicer shops nearby that have better merchandise.

All of the shops are located along a small stretch of road called Avenida Carlos Allesandri. Traffic was constant, so we had to be very careful using the crosswalk---not everyone stopped for us. The beach held many vacationers the day we arrived; the Pacific Ocean not too cold, but welcoming!

While on the beach we noticed some contemporary buildings in the distance, gleaming in the sun. They were luxury apartments in a development called San Alfonso del Mar. To satisfy our curiosity we decided to take a peek before leaving Algarrobo, so we took a tour.

The complex had a private lagoon, restaurant with aquarium, portable cabanas, private parking garage, security gate and a grocery store which was part of this master plan. San Alfonso had many amenities we found attractive. Wistful thinking had us sitting on the balcony overlooking the ocean and dreaming of a long summer vacation here.

• Pros:Popular coast town; lovely views; near the ocean!
  • Cons:Crowded the time of year we visited; traffic
  • Last visit to Algarrobo: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2006

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2010 at 5:23 AM

Looks like you had a good time. I am hoping to visit Chilli in 2012

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Algarrobo - a really nice page. You enjoy holidaying with your family. We have just returned from Phuket with our whole family including 2 small grandchildren. Thanks for stopping by my Turkey page.

• GinaZ's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2008 at 11:47 AM

I am a new member who's planning to travel to Chile this Feb I'd like to make a stop at Algarrobo can you give me some tips how to get there from Valparaiso rent a car or public trans. I'd be traveling with my friend, both females, so safty first thanks

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Your writing is very enticing. Enjoyed a virtual touf of this coastal Chilean town. Cheers, SL

• evona's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2006 at 5:19 AM

Nice page. I would like go there one day :)

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2006 at 12:44 PM

I never made it to Chile and it bugs me, seeing what I have missed out on. but, there is still time. tks Veronica, for sharing a lovely page

• Ken_Weaver's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2006 at 4:15 PM

Nice pics and tips. Appreciate your honesty about the hotel!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2006 at 3:03 PM

a great page ! After our long european winter I would be glad to be on that beach !!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2006 at 7:56 AM

Excellent tips. Sorry a nicer hotel wasn't available. The sweets sounded good.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Algarrobo

Have you been to Algarrobo?

Latest Activity in Algarrobo