"Termas de Chillan--A Thermal Springs Resort" Chillán by VeronicaG
Chillán Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 54 photos
A few days after arriving in Chile, we drove to Termas de Chillan. The drive is about 5 hours from Santiago, with the last stretch a winding, dirt and rock strewn road. Plumes of dust followed us up the mountain, until we reached the top and the Gran Hotel appeared.
The Gran Hotel de Termas de Chillan is a beautiful mountain resort in the Andes that is very popular in the winter for skiing. We visited in February, however, which is mid-summer in Chile. It was family week and we noticed several generations traveling together for the occasion.
Our windows looked out onto the mountainside and a large swimming pool. Each morning before breakfast I watched the sunlight edge its way along the heights from my window. The view of the dense woods and the mountain peaks wreathed in clouds was spectacular.
We fell into a daily routine on our stay at the Gran Hotel. Following the buffet breakfast, we all headed to the forest for a woodlands walk on the trails. Lovely orange flowers by the name of Lirio de Campo were strewn in clusters throughout the woods; small lizards sunned themselves on rocks and fallen branches; Cachanas, swift-flying green birds eluded our cameras. We walked over wood bridges crossing small streams, past the horse corrals and golf course, navigating the trails each day and discovering the forest with its treasures.
After our walk, we would select the various activities that appealed to us throughout the day. The swimming pool or thermal springs was always on the top of our list. At some point, we'd find that one or more of us would want to participate in some additional activity afterwhich we'd come together again.
I joined in a flamenco dance lesson, morning yoga classes and stretching exercises in the thermal pool. There were workouts scheduled at the gymnasium and walks to several places of interest. My son participated in a Canopy--climbing to a spot above a river and propelling over it in zigzag fashion via a network of cables. A bus ride to a water park, tennis and golf lessons, horseback riding and mountain climbing were available for an additional fee. A Mountain Camp was offered for children ages 6-11twice daily for ninety minutes.
One evening an astonomy lesson took us to the golf course for a lecture on the stars and planets--in Spanish, of course. Another trip was to a grotto carved out of the hills by a waterfall. See my THINGS TO DO tips.
As for pampering, I took advantage of the spa and scheduled a manicure, facial and massage with reflexology during our stay. Needless to say, I was sorry to leave Gran Hotel Termas de Chillan.
- Pros:Majestic mountains, thermal springs, luxury hotel
- Cons:Dirt roads that can be punishing to your vehicles
- In a nutshell:A spectacular vista to absorb and appreciate!
I have been told condors have been seen over the mountains of Termas de Chillan and near Lake Colbun,Chile, but are... more travel advice
We stayed at the Gran Hotel during family week, which was Chilean summer in February. No one dressed too formally for... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Chillán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Termas de Chillan--A Thermal Springs Resort"
- "Chillan Heart"
- "A sleeping town ... Un petit village assoupi"
- "A Picture of Chillán"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chillán
- Hotels in Chillán
- Transportation in Chillán
- Restaurants in Chillán
- Shopping in Chillán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chillán
- 13 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Chillán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chillán
- Posted in Travel Chile Forum "Re: Family in Chile"
- updated a Chillán Travel Page "Termas de Chillan--A Thermal Springs Resort"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Luxurious Mountain Resort in Chile"
- Wrote a Review Sighting the Elusive Condor in Chillán Things to Do
- Commented on one of Upward's Chillán travel pages
Photos in ChillánSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue