"Termas de Chillan--A Thermal Springs Resort" Chillán by VeronicaG

Chillán Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 54 photos

Soaring Mountains & Soothing Thermal Springs

A few days after arriving in Chile, we drove to Termas de Chillan. The drive is about 5 hours from Santiago, with the last stretch a winding, dirt and rock strewn road. Plumes of dust followed us up the mountain, until we reached the top and the Gran Hotel appeared.

The Gran Hotel de Termas de Chillan is a beautiful mountain resort in the Andes that is very popular in the winter for skiing. We visited in February, however, which is mid-summer in Chile. It was family week and we noticed several generations traveling together for the occasion.

Our windows looked out onto the mountainside and a large swimming pool. Each morning before breakfast I watched the sunlight edge its way along the heights from my window. The view of the dense woods and the mountain peaks wreathed in clouds was spectacular.

We fell into a daily routine on our stay at the Gran Hotel. Following the buffet breakfast, we all headed to the forest for a woodlands walk on the trails. Lovely orange flowers by the name of Lirio de Campo were strewn in clusters throughout the woods; small lizards sunned themselves on rocks and fallen branches; Cachanas, swift-flying green birds eluded our cameras. We walked over wood bridges crossing small streams, past the horse corrals and golf course, navigating the trails each day and discovering the forest with its treasures.

After our walk, we would select the various activities that appealed to us throughout the day. The swimming pool or thermal springs was always on the top of our list. At some point, we'd find that one or more of us would want to participate in some additional activity afterwhich we'd come together again.

I joined in a flamenco dance lesson, morning yoga classes and stretching exercises in the thermal pool. There were workouts scheduled at the gymnasium and walks to several places of interest. My son participated in a Canopy--climbing to a spot above a river and propelling over it in zigzag fashion via a network of cables. A bus ride to a water park, tennis and golf lessons, horseback riding and mountain climbing were available for an additional fee. A Mountain Camp was offered for children ages 6-11twice daily for ninety minutes.

One evening an astonomy lesson took us to the golf course for a lecture on the stars and planets--in Spanish, of course. Another trip was to a grotto carved out of the hills by a waterfall. See my THINGS TO DO tips.

As for pampering, I took advantage of the spa and scheduled a manicure, facial and massage with reflexology during our stay. Needless to say, I was sorry to leave Gran Hotel Termas de Chillan.

Five Star Resort Nestled In The Andes

The Perfect Solution On A Hot Summer Day

• Pros:Majestic mountains, thermal springs, luxury hotel
  • Cons:Dirt roads that can be punishing to your vehicles
  • In a nutshell:A spectacular vista to absorb and appreciate!
  • Last visit to Chillán: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2006

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Wow, what a hotel. The Shangrila restaurant sounded wonderful. The hotel was spectacular and the activities such as astronomy, Flamenco, yoga, and aquarobics was quite unique. Enjoyable, informative, and interesting.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2006 at 6:18 AM

I had no idea Chile was such a beautiful country and Chillan certainly looks lovely. Interesting page. Also thanks for stopping by my new Aruba pages and yes Hans and I did have a wonderful time.

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2006 at 11:53 AM

yoga in the mountains..dream! i'd love to go to a resort like this and meditate and replenish

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2006 at 2:47 AM

Termas de Chillan sounds like my kind of place. Great nature walks and the some pampering. Great tips, Veronica

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2006 at 6:44 AM

I think if we stayed here we wouldn't want to move on but love the idea of star-gazing and oxygenating walks! leyle

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2006 at 7:24 AM

As usual, lovely photos. What a beautiful resort! Am reading a great book called "The Old Patagonian Express". Bet you'd like it!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2006 at 12:38 PM

an interesting location and great pics, thanks for sharing !

• cheesecake17's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2006 at 6:29 PM

what a great place!!!....so many memories..:)...ursula

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2006 at 10:20 AM

Ahh :-) You also have been at Termas de Chillan !! I was close there in a little hut, in 1999, some 30 min away from your hotel, but I rode up there. Nice to see that they did much progress since with accomodations - the landscapes are beautiful, no ?

• Feb 15, 2006 at 11:31 AM

Sounds absolutely fabulous, Veronica!! I cannot wait to see the pictures! Kind Regards.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Chillán

Have you been to Chillán?

Latest Activity in Chillán