Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Things to Do Tips by VeronicaG Top 5 Page for this destination
Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Things to Do: 24 reviews and 63 photos
The birthplace of Nostradamos
This modest home is the birthplace of Michel de Nostredame or Nostradamos (1503), a Jewish physician and astrologer who became famous for his vague predictions about the future. Unlike many creative souls, he became well-known in his lifetime.
The second story window to the left is where he was born. Nostradamos lived in a town near his birthplace most of his life.
It is said that he specialized in treating victims of the plague, a disease that raged through Europe in medieval times. His writing brought him notoriety, respect and wealth.
Address: St. Remy, France
Directions: on Rue Hoche
Although St. Remy did not appreciate artist Vincent Van Gogh during his lifetime, they remedied the slight by dedicating two rooms of the Musee Estrine in his honor.
This museum, housed in a former 18th century mansion, primarily features artists of the 20th century. Inside this elegant building you'll see pieces by Alechinsky, Doucet, Gleizes, Eugene Leroy, Edouard Pignon and others. Gleizes, a French cubist painter, actually lived in St. Remy from 1939-1953.
Musee Estrine is located just a short distance from City Hall. Hours are Tusday -Sunday from 10:30am-12:30p.m. amd frp, 4pm-6pm; Wednesdays from 10:30am-6pm. There is an admission price of 3.20 euros for adults; students 1.30 euros.
Address: 8 rue Estrin, St. Remy, France
Directions: center of town
Phone: 33 0 4 90 02 36 73
The fountain and me
As you stroll through the streets of St. Remy, you might eventually come upon Place Jules Pelissier, where the town square and Dolphin fountain are located.
The town square fronts St. Remy's town hall (shown in the background), built in the 16th century on the site of a former convent. The flag of France waves daily outside the building.
I couldn't resist having my picture taken at the fountain.
Beautifully preserved medieval architecture, charming shopfronts trimmed in traditional Provence Blue or windows showcasing tantalizing pastry and freshly baked baguettes all added to St. Remy's appeal.
As one rounded a corner another unique aspect of this ancient town appeared, whether it be an aging fountain or a intricately wrought balcony. The narrow streets might lead to patisseries or boulangeries, public squares or petite alleyways filled with a variety of potted flowers.
This medieval town has much to offer the traveler and those who value all things historic.
Address: St. Remy De Provence, France
More Reviews (12)
- See All Crafting Creche Figures
- See All A Roman Mausoleum
- Try a Cafe
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saint Remy--A Town Nestled in the Alpilles"
- "Provence is simply Heaven on Earth"
- "The Ancient City of Glanum Was Here"
- "Charming Town In The Foothills of Alpilles"
- "Saint Rémy de Provence"
- "St. Remy has history . . . and tourists"
- "A nice base for visiting Provence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Hotels in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Transportation in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Restaurants in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Shopping in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- See All...
Explore the World
- Seattle Things to Do
- Sorrento Things to Do
- Bacolod City Things to Do
- Windsor Things to Do
- Kuching Things to Do
- Coron Things to Do
- Paris Things to Do
- Bukit Fraser Things to Do
- Springfield Things to Do
- Killeen Things to Do
- Key West Things to Do
- Mellieha Things to Do
- Strasbourg Things to Do
- Morro Bay Things to Do
Badges & Stats in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- 16 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Saint-Rémy-de-Provence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
Photos in Saint-Rémy-de-ProvenceSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (65)
Latest Saint-Rémy-de-Provence hotel reviews
- Hostellerie du Vallon de Valrugues
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Chateau de Roussan
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Gounod Hotel
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Domaine de Valmouriane
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 22, 2011
- Sous les Figuiers
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- La Villa Glanum
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Hotel l'Amandiere
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013