"Saint Remy--A Town Nestled in the Alpilles" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Rémy-de-Provence by VeronicaG
Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 204 photos
What do Vincent Van Gogh, Nostradamos and the Grimaldi family have in common? They all have connections with the medieval town of St. Remy. Nostradamos was born here, Van Gogh was confined to an asylum and painted here and the Grimaldi family owned it once upon a time. Grimaldi, as in Princess Caroline of Monaco's family.
We arrived quite early in the morning before the chickens even peeked out of their pens. Well, actually, it was a cold, brisk morning in the Alpilles Mountains when our bus dropped us off. We were VERY underdressed for the climate and spent some time looking for a shop in which to buy warmer clothing.
It was bull racing weekend, but unfortunately we were on a fixed time schedule and had to depart before all the excitement began. The streets were just being prepared and iron gates being set up when we left.
After seeing a great deal of the medieval architecture, the town's residents began appearing with shopping baskets on wheels and children in hand to do the day's shopping. It was wonderful being in the mix!
My imagination went wild that morning as we walked the historic streets and gawked at the architectural stand-outs in the town. I could see myself embroiled in the day's shopping, loaves of bread in hand, stopping by the cafe for my morning pastry and coffee with my silk scarf wrapped casually about my neck, newspaper in hand and greeting one and all passers by. Historic towns do that to me....I drift back into the past and wish that I could be a part of its earlier days...perhaps for twenty four hours. Wouldn't it be grand?
Although St. Remy did not appreciate artist Vincent Van Gogh during his lifetime, they remedied the slight by dedicating... more travel advice
Glanum did not really become a populus city until the age of Augustus, when the wealth of the empire spread out to... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saint Remy--A Town Nestled in the Alpilles"
- "Provence is simply Heaven on Earth"
- "The Ancient City of Glanum Was Here"
- "Charming Town In The Foothills of Alpilles"
- "St. Remy has history . . . and tourists"
- "Saint Rémy de Provence"
- "A nice base for visiting Provence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Hotels in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Transportation in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Restaurants in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Shopping in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- 16 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Saint-Rémy-de-Provence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
Photos in Saint-Rémy-de-ProvenceSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue