"Saint Remy--A Town Nestled in the Alpilles" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Rémy-de-Provence by VeronicaG

Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 194 photos

Grand Old Fountains

What do Vincent Van Gogh, Nostradamos and the Grimaldi family have in common? They all have connections with the medieval town of St. Remy. Nostradamos was born here, Van Gogh was confined to an asylum and painted here and the Grimaldi family owned it once upon a time. Grimaldi, as in Princess Caroline of Monaco's family.

We arrived quite early in the morning before the chickens even peeked out of their pens. Well, actually, it was a cold, brisk morning in the Alpilles Mountains when our bus dropped us off. We were VERY underdressed for the climate and spent some time looking for a shop in which to buy warmer clothing.

It was bull racing weekend, but unfortunately we were on a fixed time schedule and had to depart before all the excitement began. The streets were just being prepared and iron gates being set up when we left.

After seeing a great deal of the medieval architecture, the town's residents began appearing with shopping baskets on wheels and children in hand to do the day's shopping. It was wonderful being in the mix!

My imagination went wild that morning as we walked the historic streets and gawked at the architectural stand-outs in the town. I could see myself embroiled in the day's shopping, loaves of bread in hand, stopping by the cafe for my morning pastry and coffee with my silk scarf wrapped casually about my neck, newspaper in hand and greeting one and all passers by. Historic towns do that to me....I drift back into the past and wish that I could be a part of its earlier days...perhaps for twenty four hours. Wouldn't it be grand?

A Step Back in Time

Old World Charm

• Last visit to Saint-Rémy-de-Provence: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 11, 2009

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2011 at 11:21 AM

What a lovely place! So much wonderful historic places to see here. Excellent page and I enjoyed the tour! I hope I reviewed all the tips. This new format is making it kind of confusing.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Veronica, thanks for this wonderful page. I hope to be there in September.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 8:47 AM

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip to this quaint area. Your pictures enhance the commentary and the detail is most helpful. Great work

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Wow, this place is very old! I love the Creche figures that you found, would you call them Dolls for collecting?

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Hi, Veronica! I am glad you have managed to see a lot there! ><>< Good for you! ><><><

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2009 at 7:09 AM

Nice page! Each little scene of the village is like a small painting! Wouldn't it be great to have more time in these interesting places?

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2009 at 2:21 PM

A lovely tour of Saint-Remy-d-Provence, Veronica. I especially enjoyed the architecture, the bakeries, and the information about Van Gogh.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Fabulous town...know I would love it. Great photos and text. I'm gearing up for a trip to France.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence

Have you been to Saint-Rémy-de-Provence?

Latest Activity in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence