"Corio - my home suburb" Corio by cassiejoy42

Corio Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 67 photos

Corio, Norlane, Geelong

Corio and Norlane are two suburbs of Geelong that often get a bad wrap. Well I have lived in Corio for at least 19 years and I am here to tell you that Corio and Norlane, as with any suburb, have their good points as well as their bad points.

Being a "Ministry" area means that there are large pockets of "Ministry of Housing" homes located around Corio and Norlane. There are also a lot of homes that are privately owned or rented out.

Corio has recently had their major shopping Centre refurbished and it looks very nice. The shopping centre used to be called Corio Village Shopping Centre. Now it is called Corio Shopping Centre. A lot of the shops have had major overhauls and everything is clean and modern now. It is a pleasure to shop there and we have most shops that you would need to visit - clothing stores, supermarkets, banks, newsagent, food courts, coffee shops - no photos yet but they will come.

Corio / Norlane also has a library, major venue hall where a lot of events are held such as Miniature Railway Exhibition, and even a major swimming pool - Waterworld. Even the library has just had major refurbishment done on it.

The John Drysdale Library, Sculptures

The John Drysdale Library (or the Corio Library as locals call it) has been done up inside and out. Here is a close up of the Sculptures on the side of the building. The front of the library is in Cox Road, Norlane. This used to be the main entrance.

The main entrance is now at the side of the building. You can park behind the library and enter the library from the side of the building.

Geelong has four or five libraries that share books and resources. You can borrow books, CDs, DVDs and audio tapes. You can access the internet and print out information (you have to pay to print but internet access is free). There are also libraries in Belmont, Geelong and West Geelong (or Geelong West). I am sure there are others but I don't know where they are at the moment. When I have more information then I will update this page for you.

Centenary Hall, Corio / Norlane, Cox Road

Centenary Hal is located on the same land as the John Drysdale Library and Norlane Waterworld. There is car parking available behind the Centenary Hall and the Library. The car parking is shared between the three venues.

Centenary Hall often holds exhibitions such as the Miniature Railway Exhibition that comes to Geelong annually. The Hall is also available to hire for other functions or meetings.

The photo below shows the Centenary Hall with an event occurring - not sure what event it was!

• Pros:Corio - a great place to live, visit or stay - close to the city of Geelong and our coastal beaches
  • Cons:Cheap housing, whether you are buying or renting
  • In a nutshell:Corio is a safe, clean suburb with lots to offer locals and visitors
  • Intro Updated Nov 5, 2005

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2005 at 9:43 PM

Hi again Cassie. Started reading & rating these gr8 tips earlier & now I'm finished. Guess I'll get to see a little of this if I make it to Skilled Stadium next year.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2005 at 1:20 PM

Nice page Cassie & such a lot of photos I loved the flowers

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 2:21 PM

Nice page, Cassie! The Sphinx hotel looks interesting... does it make it feel like Cairo instead of Coiro? :D

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2005 at 2:35 AM

Cassie...home is where your heart is...and your s is obviously here!!! :)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2005 at 12:19 AM

Hi Cassandra. Those pix of your baby and little baby are just gorgeous!! Cheers, Ann :o)

• Nov 7, 2005 at 3:25 AM

Yep, it is not too bad living here ..... I just wish they would stop pinching the battery out of my son's car. Hi, welcome to vt, I've been gathering lots of pics ready for putting on, looks like you have beat me to it!!! Well done, nice work :-)

cassiejoy42

“Life is what we make it - travelling extends our realms and borders”

Badges & Stats in Corio