"Western Australia" State of Western Australia by bsfreeloader
State of Western Australia Travel Guide: 7,393 reviews and 17,107 photos
Like the neighboring Northern Territory, Western Australia is a massive place of wide open spaces. Covering a full third of the Australian continent (more than twice the size of Texas and nearly the same size as India), WA has a population of less than two million people. And the vast majority of WA’s residents live within 200 kilometers of the state capital, Perth. Perth is just one of several interesting places in WA that are well worth visiting. To the immediate south of Perth is the eclectic town of Fremantle and a short ferry ride from Fremantle is Rottnest Island. Further south are several beach and surf towns, the Margaret River wine region, tall timber country, and the coastal towns of Augusta and Albany. Just a few hours north of Perth is Nambung National Park, which is home to the rather remarkable Pinnacles Desert. A bit further north (by WA standards) is Shark Bay, home to, among other things, Monkey Mia and its famous dolphins and Hamelin Pool and its less familiar stromatolites (sediment-trapping algae believed to be direct descendants of the world’s first life forms). Further up the west coast are Coral Bay and Exmouth, both of which provide easy access to the amazing Ningaloo Reef. Turning east, there isn’t much too see until reaching Broome, a pleasant beach town and gateway to the Kimberly. And last but certainly not least is the Kimberly. Billed as Australia’s Alaska or final frontier, the Kimberly is a largely undeveloped and untamed region of massive cattle stations and scenic gorges the highlight of which is the uniquely beautiful and truly special Bungle Bungles. The diversity of sights and experiences in WA is unequalled in Australia and, because the area is so much less developed than the east coast, it is still relatively unspoiled and unaffected (with a few notable exceptions such as Monkey Mia). But you better hurry, because relatively uncontrolled, large-scale development is rampant all along the coast, bringing about changes in the name of progress that aren’t necessarily changes for the better.
Cape Leeuwin is essentially the southwest tip of Australia. Beyond the windswept point and its famous lighthouse two... more travel advice
The Ningaloo Reef is easily reached from either Exmouth or Coral Bay, on Australia’s Northwest Cape. The reef’s main... more travel advice
bsfreeloader's Related Pages
State of Western Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Western Australia"
- "Western Australia - Australias largest state."
- "Look into my big blue skies and long, long beaches"
- "The Golden West"
- "Western Australia"
- "Western Australia"
- "Western Australia- I LUUURRRVE IT!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Western Australia
- Hotels in State of Western Australia
- Transportation in State of Western Australia
- Nightlife in State of Western Australia
- Restaurants in State of Western Australia
- Shopping in State of Western Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Western Australia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Western Australia
- 16 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to State of Western Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Western Australia
Photos in State of Western AustraliaSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 30 reviews, 102 photos
- Puerto Rico Intro, 26 reviews, 84 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 23 reviews, 82 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 19 reviews, 80 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saba Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos
- Antigua and Barbuda Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos
- Beijing Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos
- Saint Kitts and Nevis Intro, 10 reviews, 46 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 9 reviews, 45 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 41 photos
Top State of Western Australia hotels
- Perth Hotels
- 2280 Reviews - 4796 Photos
- Broome Hotels
- 189 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Margaret River Hotels
- 274 Reviews - 524 Photos
- Fremantle Hotels
- 535 Reviews - 1134 Photos
- Bunbury Hotels
- 120 Reviews - 499 Photos
- Mandurah Hotels
- 122 Reviews - 280 Photos
- Geraldton Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 225 Photos
- Busselton Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 135 Photos
- Kalgoorlie Hotels
- 176 Reviews - 467 Photos
- Exmouth Hotels
- 99 Reviews - 236 Photos
- Rottnest Island Hotels
- 240 Reviews - 544 Photos
- Kalbarri Hotels
- 144 Reviews - 367 Photos
- Kununurra Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 25 Photos
- Scarborough Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 17 Photos
- Upper Swan Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 145 Photos