"Culebra" Culebra by bsfreeloader
Culebra Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 102 photos
Located just 12 miles west of St. Thomas, Culebra is actually closer to the Virgin Islands than it is to mainland Puerto Rico (it is 17 miles east of the big island). The island is only seven miles long and three-and-a-half miles wide, but it features what is widely considered to be the finest beach in Puerto Rico and some of the country’s best diving and snorkeling. The population of a little over 2000 residents is friendly, welcoming, and proud, but “island time” in Culebra takes on a somewhat different meaning than it does in other places. “Island time” in Culebra often means waiting, and waiting, and waiting some more (without even being acknowledged) while regulars (typically snowbirds from the USA who visit the island annually for extended stays) are catered to one after another. The non-stop traffic of rented jeeps, public mini-buses, and local cars also makes the island anything but quiet. And, it is somewhat disappointing to hear only English spoken in a place where Spanish is supposed to be the primary language. This isn’t paradise – unless you are an American whose version of paradise is visiting a quasi-foreign country without really leaving America. Fortunately, the beaches and underwater diversions provide an ample respite from such unwelcome nonsense. There are two ways of reaching the island: (1) taking the incredibly cheap ($2.50 one-way), 1.5 hour, ferry from Fajardo, which currently runs three times a day; or (2) flying a 10-minute puddle jumper, which fly varying schedules depending on weather and number of passengers and cost in the range of $25 one-way.
Parts of Culebra and most of the offshore islets are part of the Caribbean Islands National Wildlife Refuge. During the... more travel advice
bsfreeloader's Related Pages
Culebra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of two Spanish Virgin Islands"
- "The Spanish Virgin Island"
- "Culebra - Paradise in Puerto Rico!"
- "pepperyparro's new Culebra Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Culebra
- Hotels in Culebra
- Transportation in Culebra
- Restaurants in Culebra
- Shopping in Culebra
- Warnings and Dangers in Culebra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Culebra
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Culebra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Culebra
Top 10 Pages
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 30 reviews, 102 photos
- Puerto Rico Intro, 26 reviews, 84 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 23 reviews, 82 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 19 reviews, 80 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saba Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos
- Antigua and Barbuda Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos
- Beijing Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos
- Saint Kitts and Nevis Intro, 10 reviews, 46 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 9 reviews, 45 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 41 photos