"St. Barts" Île Saint-Barthélemy by bsfreeloader
Île Saint-Barthélemy Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 170 photos
As I typically do, I walked a lot on St. Barts. It is a rather beautiful place, with a comparatively pristine natural environment, well-preserved architecture, and a tranquil pace. But the stench of elitism and privilege permeating the island overshadows all else. Unlike on Saba and Anguilla, where passing motorists typically waved and often slowed and asked if I needed a ride, passing motorists on St. Barts looked upon me with scorn, speeding by with their noses turned up and a sneer on their face. St. Barts is not only a playground for the rich and famous, it’s a place for the privileged and pretentious. This is a place where even the taxi drivers possess an unhealthy arrogance. Rich white folks who like to mingle with other rich white folks and be served by black people and who enjoy shopping for overpriced, high-end name brand goods and eating at overpriced restaurants will enjoy St. Barts. Those with a conscience will be disgusted by the vulgar displays of wealth in the marina and throughout the island and by the disdain the St. Barts elite shows us commoners. As far as I’m concerned, the rich and famous can have St. Barts – it isn’t that great anyway.
Like the island as a whole, Gustavia is a pretty town from afar and, in some ways, even up close. Yachts rock gently on... more travel advice
Baie de St. Jean is perhaps St. Barts’ most popular beach. It is a hip strip of sand which those in the know say recalls... more travel advice
bsfreeloader's Related Pages
Île Saint-Barthélemy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Barth"
- "St. Barthelemy"
- "St. Barts"
- "St Barth pour les intimes..."
- "Elegant and exclusive"
- "St. Bart's: Paradise for the Elite"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Hotels in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Transportation in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Nightlife in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Restaurants in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Shopping in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Warnings and Dangers in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- 5 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Île Saint-Barthélemy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Île Saint-Barthélemy
Photos in Île Saint-BarthélemySee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 30 reviews, 102 photos
- Puerto Rico Intro, 26 reviews, 84 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 23 reviews, 82 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 19 reviews, 80 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saba Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos
- Antigua and Barbuda Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos
- Beijing Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos
- Saint Kitts and Nevis Intro, 10 reviews, 46 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 9 reviews, 45 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 41 photos