"St. Barts" Île Saint-Barthélemy by bsfreeloader

Île Saint-Barthélemy Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 170 photos

As I typically do, I walked a lot on St. Barts. It is a rather beautiful place, with a comparatively pristine natural environment, well-preserved architecture, and a tranquil pace. But the stench of elitism and privilege permeating the island overshadows all else. Unlike on Saba and Anguilla, where passing motorists typically waved and often slowed and asked if I needed a ride, passing motorists on St. Barts looked upon me with scorn, speeding by with their noses turned up and a sneer on their face. St. Barts is not only a playground for the rich and famous, it’s a place for the privileged and pretentious. This is a place where even the taxi drivers possess an unhealthy arrogance. Rich white folks who like to mingle with other rich white folks and be served by black people and who enjoy shopping for overpriced, high-end name brand goods and eating at overpriced restaurants will enjoy St. Barts. Those with a conscience will be disgusted by the vulgar displays of wealth in the marina and throughout the island and by the disdain the St. Barts elite shows us commoners. As far as I’m concerned, the rich and famous can have St. Barts – it isn’t that great anyway.

• Last visit to Île Saint-Barthélemy: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 21, 2008

bsfreeloader

“The more I see and experience, the more I realize just how little I know.”

Badges & Stats in Île Saint-Barthélemy

Have you been to Île Saint-Barthélemy?

Latest Activity in Île Saint-Barthélemy