"Lamanai" Lamanai by bsfreeloader
Lamanai Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 77 photos
Lamanai is one of the few Mayan sites to retain its original Mayan name. Lamanai means "Submerged Crocodile" and is located in the jungle along the New River. It is probably the most impressive Mayan site in the northern part of Belize. One highlight is the Mask Temple, which has a 13 foot high mask of a man in crocodile-mouth headdress as a prominent feature.
The tallest temple at Lamanai rises 125 feet above the jungle floor. While not as impressive or as tall as some of the other temples along the Mayan route, this temple is much older. Its construction began close to 100 BC.
We ran into a very friendly group of howler monkeys in the jungle at Lamanai. One of the monkeys even climbed down within a few feet of us before climbing back up into the canopy.
bsfreeloader's Related Pages
Lamanai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Away from it all"
- "Lamanai: Majestic Ruins via the New River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lamanai
- Hotels in Lamanai
- Transportation in Lamanai
- Nightlife in Lamanai
- Restaurants in Lamanai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lamanai
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Lamanai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lamanai
Top 10 Pages
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 30 reviews, 102 photos
- Puerto Rico Intro, 26 reviews, 84 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 23 reviews, 82 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 19 reviews, 80 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saba Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos
- Antigua and Barbuda Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos
- Beijing Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos
- Saint Kitts and Nevis Intro, 10 reviews, 46 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 9 reviews, 45 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 41 photos