"Lamanai" Lamanai by bsfreeloader

Lamanai Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 77 photos

The Mask Temple at Lamanai.

Lamanai is one of the few Mayan sites to retain its original Mayan name. Lamanai means "Submerged Crocodile" and is located in the jungle along the New River. It is probably the most impressive Mayan site in the northern part of Belize. One highlight is the Mask Temple, which has a 13 foot high mask of a man in crocodile-mouth headdress as a prominent feature.

Structure N10-43.

The tallest temple at Lamanai rises 125 feet above the jungle floor. While not as impressive or as tall as some of the other temples along the Mayan route, this temple is much older. Its construction began close to 100 BC.

Howler Monkeys

We ran into a very friendly group of howler monkeys in the jungle at Lamanai. One of the monkeys even climbed down within a few feet of us before climbing back up into the canopy.

• Last visit to Lamanai: Dec 2005
  • Intro Written Dec 27, 2005

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2010 at 11:17 AM

We're looking forward to staying near here in November - thanks for giving me a taste of what we'll see!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2008 at 5:14 AM

Impressive views of both the temple and the howler monkey! My wife and I only had fleeting glimpses of howlers in the jungle around Bermudian Landing.

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2006 at 8:36 AM

I will be going here in March 07. Hopefully my pictures turn out well like yours!

bsfreeloader

“The more I see and experience, the more I realize just how little I know.”

Badges & Stats in Lamanai

Have you been to Lamanai?

Latest Activity in Lamanai