"Placencia" Placencia Village by bsfreeloader

Placencia Village Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 123 photos

I read somewhere that Placencia was once a sleepy little fishing village, but now it is a fishy little sleepy village. From my experience, that is a fairly accurate description. Still known primarily as a world-class fishing destination (it is one of the best places in the world to complete the Grand Slam of fishing - catching a bonefish, tarpon, and permit all in the same day) and as a place to snorkel with Whale Sharks (in season), there is an underlying seediness that permeates Placencia. When inquiring about fishing guides, I was even accused of being a CIA agent. When I laughed at this suggestion, my accuser stated matter of factly, "You are either CIA or Federale, but it doesn't matter. Your body will smell the same on the beach in the morning." Despite this encounter, I actually enjoyed my time in Placencia.

One of the highlights of my time in Placencia was watching a local soccer tournament. Some of the teams lacked the money for shoes, resulting in games involving barefooted teams against teams with cleats and shinguards. Hardly a level playing field, but the games were still competitive and the barefooted players didn't back down at all.

• Last visit to Placencia Village: Dec 2005
  • Intro Written Jul 19, 2006

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2008 at 5:11 AM

Interesting insights and experiences in Placencia. I never quite made it that far, stopping at the even sleepier Hopkins just up the coast. It was really laid back!

bsfreeloader

“The more I see and experience, the more I realize just how little I know.”

Badges & Stats in Placencia Village

Have you been to Placencia Village?

Latest Activity in Placencia Village