"The Place with the Ducks" Wailoa River State Park by triplehelix

Wailoa River State Park Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 0 photos

Wailoa State Park

OK! Wailoa State Park is actually very popular with the locals for one reason... you park here, kick back, and down your plate lunch! Many visitors also frequent the area because it's reasonably within walking distance from Banyan Dr. (where most of the hotels are). The attraction here is mostly the ducks and geese that harrass you for pieces of bread as you walk by.

Becareful! Watch your step or you'll be cleaning your shoes.

You can find old men digging around every morning to find aluminum cans for recycle.

The park should really be upkept better than it is now but when you have lazy county workers parked here relaxing, it's hard to expect otherwise. The glass light fixtures are all busted and have been that way since as far as I can remember. It's too bad because it would look pretty striking at night.

Take a walk around and cross over the odd bridges to the tsunami memorial. Make sure you take some good shots out there.

My Novel Skills

What I mostly remember about this place is its idylic memories. I had my first birthday party here in one of the many pavilions. I remember other gatherings thereafter, watching the other kids play football while I prefered to read stuff. I was always the "boring" one who never wanted to have fun they say. Truth be told, I loathed football, baseball, anything that involved the general perception of popularity. From a young age I didn't buy into that. Plus I sucked at it anyway so why bother! I hated getting dirty and messy. I have to thank my mom for that one and no it's not sarcasm. In my mind I was above them, choosing intelect. The sun would beat down on everyone outside while I was comfortable with the breeze blowing threw my favorite atlas I carried around with me. Those pavilions had an interesting effect on me. It was like a nice little escape for a while looking out over the pond at the ducks. At times I'd block out the other kids voices and chants, begging me to join them. I'd pay no mind to them and continue fumbling through the pages of my atlas. Oddly enough, I had an affinity for the then Yugoslavia. I knew about the strife going on there and related, though not on that scale. Every so often, a cousin or one of my sisters kids would come over and cross their eyes over what I was reading. It was beyond their small minds to comprehend there was a bigger world out there than just the park and Hawaii. Even now, it seems the same. I'm not the one stairing in. I am on the outside yes, but I'm looking to the horizon. The memories of reading about other worlds and cultures at the park stuck with me. While I never felt it was an inspiration of any kind, I still wander in my thoughts back to the old days and the times we spent out there every weekend.

• Intro Written Oct 1, 2006

Comments

triplehelix

“The Enemy Of My Enemy Is My Friend...”

Badges & Stats in Wailoa River State Park

Have you been to Wailoa River State Park?

Latest Activity in Wailoa River State Park