"Southern Most City" Naalehu by triplehelix
Naalehu Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 13 photos
Welcome to Na'alehu (In the Ka'u district). Na'alehu is the southern most city in the United States... a far cry from Barrow, Alaska (northern most city). There really isn't much to see or do down here like its northern counter part. You need not spend much time down here unless you want to soak up the natural views.
Mahana Beach is also known as Green Sands Beach. The sand is unique as it is comprised mostly of weathered basalt deposits from past volcanic eruptions. The olivines that make the beach green holds no monetary value but is still valuable.
Ka Lae is the local name given for South Point, Hawaii. While this isn't recognized as a city, it resides in Na'alehu. This location is hypothesized as the landing of the first settlers to the islands. One theory is that the first inhabitants came from the south (Tahiti, Marquesas, New Zealand) and this would be an ideal place to stop.
Stand here and you'll be the southern most person in the USA!!
I really have no clue what these are lol. My mom told me they bloom at around this time and when she was a kid, there were lots in Hilo. As you are driving on the belt road in the south, you will see several of these trees which are quite nice!
- Pros:Beautiful Scenery
- Cons:Nothing to do :-(
- In a nutshell:Na'alehu is a small town with heart
triplehelix's Related Pages
Naalehu Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Naalehu
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Naalehu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naalehu
Photos in NaalehuSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 55 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Puako Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos
- Kawaihae Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Khirbat Serjilla Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Akaka Falls State Park Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ninole Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaupulehu Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Qasr `Amrah Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos