"Historic Ka'upulehu (kah-oo-poo-lae-hoo)" Kaupulehu by triplehelix

Kaupulehu Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 23 photos

Fishing Village aka "Roasted Breadfruit"

Ka'upulehu (originally ka'ulu pulehu) rougly translated means "roasted breadfruit". This area now occupied by Hualalai Resort/Development Company, Kukio Beach, Kona Village, and The Four Seasons Hualalai was once a bustling fishing village in ancient times. The land it self is a leasehold on loan from Bishop Estates. Many features are protected by state and federal law such as once of two ancient Hawaiian navigation dials found near the Resident's Canoe Club.

I myself am a proud employee of The Four Seasons holding a position as Night Manager. Working overnight yeild's many ghostly tales and frightening experiences. Mind you, only two instances involved guests of the hotel during our nine year tenure. Many paranormal happenings occur with our own employees. I can't say that I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary (if you know me, I'm pretty wierd anyways!). I'm constantly taken in by the beaufitul surroundings as you will see.

Sea Life

Ka'upulehu is home to protected sea life. Here we have a turtle sitting in the sand. There are signs posted that forbid anyone interfere with their natural state i.e. do not touch "kapu"! This is located at the North Beach bordering the Kona Village Resort.

Rough Waters

While the shore is beautiful, this is not an ideal place to swim if you're on vacation. The coast is very rocky and when high swells come in, be careful. On a nice day, you can clearly see the island of Maui from here. This is also taken at the North Beach.

• Pros:Weather is always great, awesome views
  • Cons:Dangerous tides
  • In a nutshell:Ancient fishing village turned blissful resort
  • Intro Updated Nov 29, 2005

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2006 at 11:03 PM

Nice opening image, and great description of where you are lucky enough to work...

• Royal63's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 11:11 PM

Prices range from $700-2,000 a NIGHT? Good heavens. Must have gold sinks! I'm sure it is a nice resort regardless of the price.

triplehelix Works Here!

triplehelix

“The Enemy Of My Enemy Is My Friend...”

Badges & Stats in Kaupulehu

Have you been to Kaupulehu?

Latest Activity in Kaupulehu