"Kailua-Kona where the grass is... brown!" Kailua-Kona by triplehelix
Kailua-Kona Travel Guide: 372 reviews and 868 photos
Kona Hawaii is one of the premiere travel locations around the world. I currently work out there honing my management skills with The Four Seasons Resort Hualalai. If you've got the capital, come stay with us and live rich. Kona is famous for being King Kamehameha's capital city (hence playground of royalty). If you have a taste for the supernatural, this is the place to visit, especially along the beaches at night. Every hotel along the North Kona/South Kohala coast is indeed haunted. I work over night, I've heard some wicked spooky stories about my hotel. However, we've only had two guests to my knowledge who mentioned seeing things (but we get a few noise complaints we think could be paranormal. The reason, no guests in surrounding rooms or functions going on). Points of interest are scattered throughout the city. If you are expecting white sandy beaches and fields of green, you're in for a shocker folks!! Kona is one of the most driest places in the world compared to Hilo. When you leave the airport, you will see what I mean by the fields of lava rock and tufts of dry grass. To find those white sandy beaches, travel up north to the Kohala coast and head over to Hapuna Beach, Spencer Beach Park, or Mauna Kea Beach. Kailua town offers tons of little shops and souvenier stands brimming with local steriotypes and culture. Not to mention the food hehehe. Travel further down Ali'i Drive and venture to Keauhou which feels like the west coast of the US. Keauhou is building up quickly with new stores and hotels.
Kona is home to the world famous Iron Man Triathlon. The course starts out in Kailua town and goes all the way to South Kohala and back. This year I got some shots of the pre-event warm ups as I left work.
Kailua is packed with touristy things to do and see. It is also very expensive. One might be satisfied with seeing sights and taking what is free instead of doing shopping around here.
- Pros:HOT AND SUNNY, Many tourist activities
- Cons:Very expensive
- In a nutshell:Playground of Royalty still today
This is based purely on superstition... According to the Hawaii Board of Tourism and The Hawaii Volcanoes National Park,... more travel advice
triplehelix's Related Pages
Kailua-Kona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kona Coast Visit"
- "A Fun Day in Kona"
- "Where Pele lives"
- "Kona Coast"
- "Kona and Kau"
- "Hawaii Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kailua-Kona
- Hotels in Kailua-Kona
- Transportation in Kailua-Kona
- Nightlife in Kailua-Kona
- Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
- Shopping in Kailua-Kona
- Warnings and Dangers in Kailua-Kona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kailua-Kona
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Kailua-Kona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kailua-Kona
Photos in Kailua-KonaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 55 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Puako Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos
- Kawaihae Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Khirbat Serjilla Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Akaka Falls State Park Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ninole Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaupulehu Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Qasr `Amrah Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos