"Kailua-Kona where the grass is... brown!" Kailua-Kona by triplehelix

Kailua-Kona Travel Guide: 358 reviews and 813 photos

Playground of Royalty

Kona Hawaii is one of the premiere travel locations around the world. I currently work out there honing my management skills with The Four Seasons Resort Hualalai. If you've got the capital, come stay with us and live rich. Kona is famous for being King Kamehameha's capital city (hence playground of royalty). If you have a taste for the supernatural, this is the place to visit, especially along the beaches at night. Every hotel along the North Kona/South Kohala coast is indeed haunted. I work over night, I've heard some wicked spooky stories about my hotel. However, we've only had two guests to my knowledge who mentioned seeing things (but we get a few noise complaints we think could be paranormal. The reason, no guests in surrounding rooms or functions going on). Points of interest are scattered throughout the city. If you are expecting white sandy beaches and fields of green, you're in for a shocker folks!! Kona is one of the most driest places in the world compared to Hilo. When you leave the airport, you will see what I mean by the fields of lava rock and tufts of dry grass. To find those white sandy beaches, travel up north to the Kohala coast and head over to Hapuna Beach, Spencer Beach Park, or Mauna Kea Beach. Kailua town offers tons of little shops and souvenier stands brimming with local steriotypes and culture. Not to mention the food hehehe. Travel further down Ali'i Drive and venture to Keauhou which feels like the west coast of the US. Keauhou is building up quickly with new stores and hotels.

Iron Man Competition

Kona is home to the world famous Iron Man Triathlon. The course starts out in Kailua town and goes all the way to South Kohala and back. This year I got some shots of the pre-event warm ups as I left work.

Touristville

Kailua is packed with touristy things to do and see. It is also very expensive. One might be satisfied with seeing sights and taking what is free instead of doing shopping around here.

• Pros:HOT AND SUNNY, Many tourist activities
  • Cons:Very expensive
  • In a nutshell:Playground of Royalty still today
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2005

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2005 at 4:58 AM

Now I'm glad I didn't bring any lava rocks back with me - I just get by as it is!

triplehelix Works Here!

triplehelix

“The Enemy Of My Enemy Is My Friend...”

Badges & Stats in Kailua-Kona

Have you been to Kailua-Kona?

Latest Activity in Kailua-Kona