"Business Center of the Big Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo by triplehelix
Hilo Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 536 photos
Hilo is definately one of the most rainiest places in the country. Most of the pictures you see here have grey skies, don't be suprised! Most people think it never rains here and it is always sunny with hula dancers lining the beaches. Untrue... Hilo has almost no beaches and our coastline is very rocky. When it is sunny, it can be very nice.
Hilo is the center of government for the County of Hawaii and holds all of our court, state, and federal offices. Most non-tourism related business are located here. We do have a few hotels here but if you're the touristy traveler, you should go to Kona. Kona is a two hour drive away.
It doesn't take more than a couple of days to see everything in Hilo in fact, if you have a full day, you can do mostly everything. Hilo makes a good base for a visit to Volcano and the south.
Living here is rather difficult if you're restless like me. It's way too sleepy and dead. I like the idea of living in a place where no matter what time I'm up, there's things to do. It is extremely safe living here though.
Hilo Bay is one of the most recognizable images when you think about Hawaii next to Diamond Head and Kilauea Volcano. Countless paintings have been done displaying the bay in various times in history. Currently, Hilo Bay serves in many kayak and canoeing tournaments. Jet skiers were once a common fixture but not so much anymore. I do not recommend swimming here because the water is very murkey. Who knows what your foot will brush up against on the bay's floor.
Strange things have washed up on the coast of Bay Front. There were items found from Japanese fishing vessels that made its way out here.
It's best to find some out of the way spots to chill when you're in Hilo. Visiting the same places as everyone else can be quite depressing for the alternative traveler. I like going through the backroads rather than the main street. In Hilo, you'll find many backroads to drive through. One warning though, many people have dogs in these areas and they aren't tied up as the law dictates. Stay in your car to avoid possible provoked residents. If you look like a cop, they may give you dirty looks.
- Pros:Cultural sights, friendly locals, good food (too much)!
- Cons:Limited lifestyle for residence, not much to do
- In a nutshell:Beautiful and peaceful place to live, wish there was more to do!
Travel up past the Hilo Medical Center on a narrow two laned windy road and you're here, Boiling Pots. Boiling Pots is... more travel advice
I know this should be classified under Shops and not Restaurants simply because it is a store! Big Island Candies is... more travel advice
- See All Farmer's Market
- See All The Main Spot
- See All Hiking Adventure and Lodging
- See All Don't act local
triplehelix's Related Pages
Hilo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Business Center of the Big Island"
- "The lush windward coast"
- "Big Island - Big Sights"
- "Rainforest Trip"
- "Hilo and surroundings"
- "Hilo - the rainiest city in the United States?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hilo
- Hotels in Hilo
- Transportation in Hilo
- Nightlife in Hilo
- Restaurants in Hilo
- Shopping in Hilo
- Warnings and Dangers in Hilo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hilo
- 55 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Hilo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hilo
Photos in HiloSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 55 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Puako Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos
- Kawaihae Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Khirbat Serjilla Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Akaka Falls State Park Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ninole Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaupulehu Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Qasr `Amrah Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos