"Business Center of the Big Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo by triplehelix

Hilo Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 536 photos

Life in the Blue

Hilo is definately one of the most rainiest places in the country. Most of the pictures you see here have grey skies, don't be suprised! Most people think it never rains here and it is always sunny with hula dancers lining the beaches. Untrue... Hilo has almost no beaches and our coastline is very rocky. When it is sunny, it can be very nice.

Hilo is the center of government for the County of Hawaii and holds all of our court, state, and federal offices. Most non-tourism related business are located here. We do have a few hotels here but if you're the touristy traveler, you should go to Kona. Kona is a two hour drive away.

It doesn't take more than a couple of days to see everything in Hilo in fact, if you have a full day, you can do mostly everything. Hilo makes a good base for a visit to Volcano and the south.

Living here is rather difficult if you're restless like me. It's way too sleepy and dead. I like the idea of living in a place where no matter what time I'm up, there's things to do. It is extremely safe living here though.

Hilo Bay

Hilo Bay is one of the most recognizable images when you think about Hawaii next to Diamond Head and Kilauea Volcano. Countless paintings have been done displaying the bay in various times in history. Currently, Hilo Bay serves in many kayak and canoeing tournaments. Jet skiers were once a common fixture but not so much anymore. I do not recommend swimming here because the water is very murkey. Who knows what your foot will brush up against on the bay's floor.

Strange things have washed up on the coast of Bay Front. There were items found from Japanese fishing vessels that made its way out here.

Out of the Way

It's best to find some out of the way spots to chill when you're in Hilo. Visiting the same places as everyone else can be quite depressing for the alternative traveler. I like going through the backroads rather than the main street. In Hilo, you'll find many backroads to drive through. One warning though, many people have dogs in these areas and they aren't tied up as the law dictates. Stay in your car to avoid possible provoked residents. If you look like a cop, they may give you dirty looks.

• Pros:Cultural sights, friendly locals, good food (too much)!
  • Cons:Limited lifestyle for residence, not much to do
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful and peaceful place to live, wish there was more to do!
  • Intro Updated Oct 4, 2006

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Great page. Will use at least some of these tips. Sadly only there tomorrow til saturday morning.

• Dec 28, 2006 at 8:48 PM

HA! That's hilarious! I'm moving to Hilo in June 07 and have done a lot of research, but of everything I've read, your Pidgeon talk tip was the best! Mahalo.

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2006 at 10:50 PM

Great work updating your Hilo pages since I last checked them. I really enjoyed Hilo when I visited, but next time I come, I will understand the town that much more...Alan

• Zvrlj's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2006 at 11:55 PM

Great you wanna see Serbia. We find your hometown very interesting, unfortunately to far for us in near future, but later... Greetings from Kragujevac, Serbia.

• lamsterz's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2006 at 5:53 AM

Excellent Hilo page! I'm afraid of excessive rain, but hey, now I'm up for visiting Hawaii.

• sotschi's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 3:22 PM

Very nice this town where you have been raised up!

• Jun 9, 2006 at 5:33 AM

nice pages :)

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2006 at 4:02 PM

Back for another tour on your big island - hoping to find Kailua (Oahu) one day....... Ciao, Carol

• malianrob's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2006 at 11:42 PM

Hi, i really liked your pages on the big island. I will be traveling there in October!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2006 at 3:53 AM

Absolutely fantastic restaurant tips for Hilo. If you get the chance ever, go to Pescatore.

triplehelix Lives Here!

triplehelix

“The Enemy Of My Enemy Is My Friend...”

Badges & Stats in Hilo