"Akaka and Kahuna Falls" Akaka Falls State Park by triplehelix
Akaka Falls State Park Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 33 photos
Well hello! Welcome to Akaka Falls State Park. This park is situated along the mountain-side in Honomu about 14 miles from the HWY19 belt road. The falls is one of the biggest tourist attractions between Hilo and Kona. The park is named for the larger of the two falls. The other, Kahuna Falls, is viewed from a tiny platform while Akaka is much closer.
The park area is full of local flora and fauna. You'll also find this area is generally wet all the time even when it doesn't rain. The atmosphere is cool and misty, much to the delight of many. The best time to enjoy the park is early morning when no one is around.
The paths in the area can be quiet an obstacle if you're not in the best physical shape. There are several stairways and steep inclines that are hard on the knees. It's also very slippery which adds to your likelyhood of falling 1000+ feet.
This is a tourist attraction even though it's very much out of the way. If you decide to head up there, pack a lunch to make the time worthwhile.
The variety of local plants are amazing. If you've ever been to Hawaii Volcano's National Park, it's similar. Be careful not to reach too far for the flowers, they're growing out on the edge!
The birds that inhabit the area are rarely seen and always heard much like the annoying coqui frog. Those little peeps and whistles you hear are coming from those ghastly little frogs. They are not native for the record.
Only me!!! It was cool walking along those trails all alone, no one in my ear. Just me and nature!
What's great about morning at the park is the unobstructed view of the ocean you get. Not that its obstructed any other part of the day...
- Cons:invisible spider webs
Ay dios mi! If you don't obey this sign you are stupid. Though the ground may look solid, you could be stepping into a... more travel advice
The universal rule when leaving your car... LOCK IT. People will break in just to take the change you have sitting in... more travel advice
Written Apr 11, 2006
Images of Akaka Falls Trail
Written Apr 11, 2006
More Images of the Trail
triplehelix's Related Pages
Akaka Falls State Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Akaka Falls State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Akaka Falls State Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Isola di Ponza
- Laoag Hotels
- Fair Hill
- Province of Mindoro Occidental Hotels
- Colorado Springs
- Southern Thailand
- Spanish Harbor Keys Hotels
- Plymstock Hotels
- Carrickmines Hotels
- Round Valley State Park Hotels
- São Paulo
- Estado de Baja California Norte
Badges & Stats in Akaka Falls State Park
- 6 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Akaka Falls State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akaka Falls State Park
Photos in Akaka Falls State ParkSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 55 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Puako Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos
- Kawaihae Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Khirbat Serjilla Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Akaka Falls State Park Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ninole Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaupulehu Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Qasr `Amrah Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos