"Krak Des Chevaliers, The Quintessential Castle" Qal`at al Hisn by triplehelix

Qal`at al Hisn Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 159 photos

The Fortress of Knights

T.E. Lawrence described Krak des Chevaliers as "The best preserved and the most wholly admired castle" ever known. After experiencing it up close, wandering about its walls and chambers, there's certainly no argument there.

I was stuffed inside this micro-bus with other travelers. A South Korean girl, Japanese girl, and an Australian guy. I think the Aussie dude had a drug problem of some sort... he kept playing with these beads, flipping it back and forth literally all day long! Our driver was visibly annoyed by him and was tempted to ditch him at Musayf lol. Once we got out of that bus, we went our separate ways and explored the area almost unhindered by touts! It was a nice change from getting bombarded elsewhere.

The surroundings were just breathtaking and unbelievable. I took some time to sit atop the outer wall and just stared at the mountainside. It was just after 2pm on a sunny day, the wind was blowing a cold breeze. It was a nice contrast. I took the opportunity to scale the perimeter because I didn't want to miss a thing! This may be the only time I ever come here and it had to be memorable no matter how sick or tired I was.

Throughout my trek here, i must have bumped into 3 travelers I met elsewhere. It's such a small world huh?

• Last visit to Qal`at al Hisn: Oct 2006
  • Intro Written Feb 21, 2008

triplehelix

“The Enemy Of My Enemy Is My Friend...”

Badges & Stats in Qal`at al Hisn

Have you been to Qal`at al Hisn?