"Dead City of Serjilla" Khirbat Serjilla by triplehelix
Khirbat Serjilla Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 135 photos
I swear... after arriving at this place I felt as if everyone in the world had died and I was the lone survivor. Serjilla has the feel of a zombie town and bears an eerie resemblance to the horror movie Silent Hill. Lichen's crawling over every rock and villa looks as if as ash had fallen from the skies. The air is still and cold and not even a cricket chirps here. It is truely a dead city. Aside from the ticket guy in the parking lot, I was alone out there.
Serjilla was once a prosperous trading village that cultivated grapes and olives. The 5th century Byzantine village fell into disaray after trade routes shifted along with business. The city was then abandoned and left as if someone should still be living there. Today, Serjilla attracts tourist few and far between. Impressive as it is, it goes un noticed by many travelers to Syria.
Serjilla is the perfect example of what ancient settlements used to look like. The villas are well preserved and expertly organized. Think Legend of Zelda when walking through the buildings and tombs.
The Hollywood potential is here and no one has used this as a movie set as of yet :p.
I just have too many pictures and VT doesn't provide enough space for them all under one tip! more travel advice
triplehelix's Related Pages
Khirbat Serjilla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dead City of Serjilla"
- "A Dead City Called Serjilla..."
- "DEAD CITIES"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khirbat Serjilla
- 7 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Khirbat Serjilla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khirbat Serjilla
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 55 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Puako Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos
- Kawaihae Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Khirbat Serjilla Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Akaka Falls State Park Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ninole Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaupulehu Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Qasr `Amrah Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos