"Hellenistic Gerasa" Jarash by triplehelix
Jarash Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 616 photos
Jerash today is one of Jordan's major tourist attractions with guides available in several different languages. Since most visitors visit via Amman on a day trip, there are few places to stay in the area.
Jerash prospered for many centuries beginning in the Hellenistic age of Alexander. The area around it was once fertile thus supported a large population or farmers. It was during this time that Jerash rose to prominence as a part of the Decapolis. Trade with other settlements such as the Nabataeans propped the city up even higher boosting it to a higher status. Though they enjoyed centuries of longevity, Jerash fell into decline after the defeat of Zenobia's Palmyra. Caravans were pushed in another direction leading to a drop in business. The Byzantines drove the nail even further into the coffin with the arrival of Christianity and the destruction of several important structures. The Sassanians of Persia caused the next wave of destruction and brought Islam with them which still thrives today. An earthquake in 747CE destroyed Jerash and forever buried hope of regaining prominence.
Jerash ruins are very scenic and walking amongst the complex fills your head with ancient imagery. While the site is usually over run by tourists, you can surely find a quiet spot to reflect. For some reason, the far north end was quiet as most of the tour guides stay within the heavy traffic zone. Find a place to reflect and write in your travel diary.
- Pros:Must see place in Jordan, beautiful ruins.
- Cons:Too many tourists and salesfolk.
triplehelix's Related Pages
Jarash Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A wonderful Roman town in Jordan"
- "Don't miss this!"
- "Gerasa, an antic city"
- "Jerash, The Ancient Roman City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jarash
- Hotels in Jarash
- Transportation in Jarash
- Restaurants in Jarash
- Warnings and Dangers in Jarash
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Jarash
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Jarash?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jarash
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 55 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Puako Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos
- Kawaihae Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Khirbat Serjilla Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Akaka Falls State Park Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ninole Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaupulehu Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Qasr `Amrah Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos