"City of Mosaics" Madaba by triplehelix
Madaba Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 576 photos
(More to come soon...)
Madaba is an excelent starting point if you're visiting Jordan. It's away from the hustle and bustle of Amman and is simple to get around. From Madaba, you can visit Mount Nebo, Bethany, and the Dead Sea in one day if you don't mind the rush!
One thing you'll notice about Madaba are the extremely friendly locals who quickly rush to greet you. No, not because they want you to buy stuff from them. My first day walking around Madaba was met with good company. I arrived at the Mariam Hotel at around 5:30 in the monring. They were closed so I started walking around with my guide book. As the hours went by, everyone poured out onto the street opening up their shops or were going shopping. I was taken by the amount of Hundai's and old cars rolling around. A man in a green truck stopped me and asked me "Where are you from?" When I told him America, he said "AHHH GOOD GOOD!!!" Nothing but praise for my country.
There is no shortage of small shops in the area. One can generally find what they need here except newer model electronics. I found Madaba to be very crowded and full of traffic. Then again this was my first day in Jordan and considering every other place, this was quite normal. Wherever you go, you'll be met with great kindness and a quick greeting of "marhaba, as salamu 'alaykum". just reply "afwan! wa 'alaykum as salaam."
There is an arcade of restaurants where I stopped to write in my journal. I was the only one there and was gladly served by the staff. All I had was mint tea, my first taste of Jordan.
I couldn't resist. I had to take pictures of them. They're all over the place here!
- Pros:Friendly city and a good base to do day trips
- Cons:Dirty streets in the morning and traffic congestion
- In a nutshell:Unforgetable first taste of my Jordanian experience
These old houses are not open to the public (unless you ask the residents) but are along the small streets of Madaba.... more travel advice
Created in 568 CE, the mosaics on the floor of the church were created in honor of the 12 Christian apostles. The... more travel advice
triplehelix's Related Pages
Madaba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madaba and Mount Nebo: a window over the Holy Land"
- "Town of mosaics"
- "An Excellent base to explore Jordan"
- "A Great Alternative to Amman"
- "Madaba, a Friendly Town"
- "Not Just the City of Mosaics"
- "Madaba - مادبا"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madaba
- Hotels in Madaba
- Transportation in Madaba
- Restaurants in Madaba
- Shopping in Madaba
- Warnings and Dangers in Madaba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madaba
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Madaba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madaba
Photos in MadabaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 55 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Puako Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos
- Kawaihae Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Khirbat Serjilla Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Akaka Falls State Park Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ninole Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaupulehu Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Qasr `Amrah Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos