"Qas'r Kharana" Qasr al Kharanah by triplehelix
Qasr al Kharanah Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 73 photos
Originally built by the Romans and Byzantines, Kharana as well as the other desert forts were taken over by the Syrian Umayyads in 710CE. The use of this fort is not clear though it may have served as a satellite defense/governmental office.
Over sixty rooms cover the three tiered construct with amazing examples of Islamic art work and Roman era architecture.
After Kharana fell into decline, it was abandoned and used as a rest house by traveling convoys and traders. Today, it is relic. This is not a frequently visited site as it requires special modes of transportation to get there.
The only simple way to get here is via organized tour or hired driver. I used the services of Funduq Farah along with my new British friends Kat, Laura, and French born Noel.
Suffice it to say we didn't have a good review of the Farah Hotel after this as they botched our tour. More in the tips section...
triplehelix's Related Pages
Qasr al Kharanah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Qasr al-Kharanah: a castle in the desert"
- "Desert Castle"
- "QASR AL KHARANAH"
- "A great Desert Castle"
- "Qasr al Kharanah"
- "Qasr Al Kharraneh"
- "QASR AL KHARANAH"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Qasr al Kharanah
- 0 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Qasr al Kharanah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qasr al Kharanah
Photos in Qasr al KharanahSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 55 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Puako Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos
- Kawaihae Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Khirbat Serjilla Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Akaka Falls State Park Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ninole Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaupulehu Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Qasr `Amrah Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos