"The Land of the Gadareans" Umm Qays by triplehelix
Umm Qays Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 63 photos
Umm Qais as it is known to the Arabs has gone through a few name changes including Seleucia, Antiochia, and the Greco-Roman Gadara during its decapolis era.
The ancient village has an idyllic setting with a cool climate. Olive trees cover the grounds as far as the eyes can see. Friendly local farmers greet you as you walk down the cardomaximus exploring ancient wonders envisioning what life was like back in its heyday.
Umm Qais is perhaps most famous for the biblical account in which Jesus himself cured two men of their demonic possession. The men emerged from their dwelling in the mausoleum along the cardo. The demons were then exercised and hurled into a herd of swine. The swine, in a mad rush, ran down the cliff into the sea below.
triplehelix's Related Pages
Umm Qays Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Umm Qaiys"
- "UMM QAYS - NORTH JORDAN"
- "The Land of the Gadareans"
- "An Ancient Town Called Gadara..."
- "Umm Qais"
- "Furthest North"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Umm Qays
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Umm Qays?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Umm Qays
Photos in Umm QaysSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 55 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Puako Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos
- Kawaihae Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Khirbat Serjilla Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Akaka Falls State Park Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ninole Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaupulehu Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Qasr `Amrah Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos