"Home is where the heart is" LiliCanada's Profile

1st stop Holland

This is the house I was born in Santpoort Holland

Then we moved to Trinidad

I spent the first 3 years of my life here. All I remember is nets over the crib! This was to keep bugs away from baby. My older sister recalls taking her shoes out of a closet and when she clunked them down on the floor, a tarantula jumped out! Mother calmly swept the critter out of the house and killed it.

Back to Holland

We stayed in this house for a year. I have memories of Saint Nicholas at Christmas time.

Off to Canada

In 1968 we moved to Canada, and the first city we lived in was Halifax.

Great memories here of playing in the forest with the neighbourhood kids, catching frogs in the pond, and playing spin the bottle. What a rowdy lot we were!

Next stop in Canada was Toronto

More fantastic memories of my brothers and sister and I building go-karts, and having slingshot wars in the dirt hills.
I remember a lot of beautiful parks in 1969 Toronto. It was our first exposure to real SNOW

In grade three we moved to Vancouver

They don't call it beautiful British Columbia for nothing.

I was enrolled in a catholic school ... we wore uniforms and the nuns were really good to us. Kids from all over the world were in this school.

We camped at Cultus Lake, Quesnel Lake and Williams Lake

1974 to Regina

Last stop was Regina with my family. It was a tough move for us because we loved our friends in Vancouver and we missed the warm climate, the forests, the ocean, and the mindset of people who live in larger cities.

But .. after several years, I began to really love the prairie skies.

Calgary and Whitehorse

As an adult, I've lived in Saskatoon, Calgary, Whitehorse, and now Ottawa ... and visited many other parts of Canada including Toronto, Quebec City and Montreal.

I can't really say in words how much I love this country.

But growing up as I did, in many different places, I learned from my parents how big the world is. My father could speak 5 languages and my mother was a history buff. My older brother born in Hong Kong and my older sister born in Zimbabwe, and both my parents born in Holland, we are a family who loves to travel.

As an adult, I haven't travelled an awful lot, certainly not as much as others on here. Virtual Tourist is a GREAT idea :)

• Intro Updated May 9, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
LiliCanada's Profile Photo

LiliCanada

“Life's too short not to travel”

Real Name