"EGYPT" Egypt by June.b

Egypt Travel Guide: 16,220 reviews and 41,644 photos

A visit after the revolution 2011

It's been a long time plan but never happened, until last May 2011. Maybe because the airfare is cheaper or maybe because it's less touristic after the revolution.

I was planning on Turkey, but included Egypt in it.

I accomplished what I wanted to see and it was almost perfect.

I flew to Aswan via Cairo to see the fascinating temples of Abu Simbel and Philae .

Then from Aswan took a train to Luxor for the Valley of the Queen & King, and the spectacular temples of Karnak and Luxor.

After Luxor, I flew into Cairo --- who would come to Egypt without seeing the Great Pyramids of Giza. I think I've mentioned it somewhere in my pages but on another city - not seeing the pyramids is like coming to Paris without seeing the Eiffel Tower. For some it might not be a necessity but for most of us, it's a must.

Egypt is an amazing place, mystical and must be on the top of the lsit for adventurous travelers. It has its share of dishonest people - many places have - but avoidable at times and unavoidable at most. Then again, I've encountered some really nice and genuinely honest people.

I'll be back soon.

Second trip

Second time in Egypt was a lot better than the first one. I gave Egypt a second shot and it did win me over. People are friendlier and we've enjoyed this trip a lot.

We were not able to go to Alexandria; first - we were booted out of the carriage because it's full and we don't have a ticket, I took a chance buying the ticket on board but failed, second day - it was full and the next available train was 2pm, and third we got our ticket the day before but we missed the train which run "on-time". I've miscalculated that, I thought Egyptian trains are always delayed.

Anyhow, we headed out of Cairo to Wadi Natrun, and I think we're really destined to come to Wadi Natrun. We've had a very nice time there, we did it on our own taking a bus, then a van, then a tricycle (tuktuk). The monks and people at the Monastery of St. Pishoy were probably the most accommodating and friendliest people in Egypt that I've met so far. They gave us a free tour of the place, and the most hospitable thing is -- a monk took us back to Cairo on his personal car for free!

It was a nice one week vacation -- revisited the Great Pyramids on our own as usual which I've visited couple of times in the past. Also, islamic Cairo, Coptic Cairo, and some new ones like the reputedly dangerous City of the Dead which turned out to be friendly, took an afternoon nap on the grasses of the city's best park Al Azhar Park.

I've learned how to deal with touts, got friendly with taxi drivers and met more honest ones than scams (only one this trip). Beat bargaining with the shops at Khan El Khalili and got away with souvenirs at reasonable prices - my price or no prize. Eat so much Koshary that kept my travelmates complaining, devoured on sweet Egyptian pancakes and local ice creams.

The trip was awesome!

Third Trip

• Pros:Full of ancient history, treasures and wonders.
  • Cons:Too many dishonest people - from pharmacy to mini stores.
  • In a nutshell:Mystical!
  • Last visit to Egypt: May 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“Traveling is the best education there is...and the most expensive one, and no graduation. (Quote me)”

Badges & Stats in Egypt