"Çanakkale" Canakkale Ili by June.b

Canakkale Ili Travel Guide: 496 reviews and 1,959 photos

Accidentally, Çanakkale!

From Bergama, I was supposed to go back to Istanbul as I only have less than a week left and I really want to take a good rest in Istanbul. But for some reason … and I was silently swayed by Carol (with her husband – lovely couple from Australia - I’ve met in Bergama) to change my mind when I was already at the Metro bus ticket window.

So the following morning, we found ourselves waiting for the huge bus at an intersection in Bergama with our luggages along the road and big labrador (?) for a companion. The 5-hour trip to Canakkale was pleasant, the bus was almost empty, we own the half back part. Carol got busy knitting, good thing she did not force me again to solve those puzzles she brought with her.

So, here we are....

We reached Canakkale around 5:00PM, the bus dropped us just right before the ferry terminal which is good as I immediately spotted the hotel where we will be staying, just in front of the famed clock tower. The burning of charcoals on most building makes me gagging for a breath of fresher air. Twas so smoggy that made me a little sick for the next 2 days.

At night, Carol-David-Me, dine at this nice well recommended restaurant along the harbour. We wanted to shop around as there are lots of restaurants along this lane but the cold is unbearable. So we decided on the one recommended – good fish (they call it blue fish or sumthin’) for dinner, though not very filling but delighfully delicious, had a local wine and David’s tobacco which he bought from Singapore’s DFS and strange it may seem that I have to order tomato soup after the main entrée just to fill me up.

We booked the Troy tour at the hotel as we were discouraged to do it on our own which by the way can be painlessly done. Though having a guide who gives story and history about the whole place makes the tour of Troy interesting as the place is a bit of a letdown compared to the Ancient City of Pergamum where we spent 4 days. Nevertheless, Canakkale have other places nearby (like Gallipoli and the Dardanelle) to explore including the main city which has pretty nice sights.

What to see?

Canakkale is your best base in exploring the battlefields and memorials of Gallipoli, the ancient city of Troy, the resort island of Bozcada, the ancient city of Assos and Mount Ida.

• Pros:Lots of sights around the area
  • Cons:Smoggy air, charcoals burning, choking
  • In a nutshell:Smoking barrel of fun...
  • Last visit to Canakkale Ili: Jan 2008
  • Intro Written Jan 19, 2008

Comments

June.b

“Traveling is the best education there is...and the most expensive one, and no graduation. (Quote me)”

Badges & Stats in Canakkale Ili

Have you been to Canakkale Ili?

Latest Activity in Canakkale Ili