"Çanakkale" Canakkale Ili by June.b
Canakkale Ili Travel Guide: 493 reviews and 1,965 photos
From Bergama, I was supposed to go back to Istanbul as I only have less than a week left and I really want to take a good rest in Istanbul. But for some reason … and I was silently swayed by Carol (with her husband – lovely couple from Australia - I’ve met in Bergama) to change my mind when I was already at the Metro bus ticket window.
So the following morning, we found ourselves waiting for the huge bus at an intersection in Bergama with our luggages along the road and big labrador (?) for a companion. The 5-hour trip to Canakkale was pleasant, the bus was almost empty, we own the half back part. Carol got busy knitting, good thing she did not force me again to solve those puzzles she brought with her.
We reached Canakkale around 5:00PM, the bus dropped us just right before the ferry terminal which is good as I immediately spotted the hotel where we will be staying, just in front of the famed clock tower. The burning of charcoals on most building makes me gagging for a breath of fresher air. Twas so smoggy that made me a little sick for the next 2 days.
At night, Carol-David-Me, dine at this nice well recommended restaurant along the harbour. We wanted to shop around as there are lots of restaurants along this lane but the cold is unbearable. So we decided on the one recommended – good fish (they call it blue fish or sumthin’) for dinner, though not very filling but delighfully delicious, had a local wine and David’s tobacco which he bought from Singapore’s DFS and strange it may seem that I have to order tomato soup after the main entrée just to fill me up.
We booked the Troy tour at the hotel as we were discouraged to do it on our own which by the way can be painlessly done. Though having a guide who gives story and history about the whole place makes the tour of Troy interesting as the place is a bit of a letdown compared to the Ancient City of Pergamum where we spent 4 days. Nevertheless, Canakkale have other places nearby (like Gallipoli and the Dardanelle) to explore including the main city which has pretty nice sights.
Canakkale is your best base in exploring the battlefields and memorials of Gallipoli, the ancient city of Troy, the resort island of Bozcada, the ancient city of Assos and Mount Ida.
- Pros:Lots of sights around the area
- Cons:Smoggy air, charcoals burning, choking
- In a nutshell:Smoking barrel of fun...
In the evening, dine at one of the fish restaurants along the seaside. In the morning til early afternoon, walk along... more travel advice
Located at the far end of the vast weaponry lawn of the Naval Museum is the Cimenlik castle. Built by Sultan Mehmet... more travel advice
June.b's Related Pages
Canakkale Ili Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Canakkale-Gateway to Gallipoli"
- "ON THE DARDANELLES"
- "Gallipolli and Troy"
- "Canakkale Province"
- "Where Trojan Battle Took Place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canakkale Ili
- Hotels in Canakkale Ili
- Transportation in Canakkale Ili
- Nightlife in Canakkale Ili
- Restaurants in Canakkale Ili
- Shopping in Canakkale Ili
- Warnings and Dangers in Canakkale Ili
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canakkale Ili
- 7 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Canakkale Ili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canakkale Ili
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Ili Intro, 133 reviews, 562 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairo Intro, 50 reviews, 240 photos
- Luxor Intro, 41 reviews, 200 photos
- Fethiye Intro, 38 reviews, 178 photos
- Goreme Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 35 reviews, 176 photos
- Amasya Intro, 39 reviews, 170 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 22 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Aswan Intro, 31 reviews, 150 photos
- Konya Intro, 30 reviews, 148 photos