"Siwa Oasis" Siwa by June.b
Siwa Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 355 photos
I've been wanting to come to Siwa since my first trip to Egypt, but wasn't able to due to time limitation and my travel companions who aren't much into it. So I traveled alone this time taking the long distance bus from Cairo to Siwa - direct 12-hour trip.
Siwa is one of those places that you either love it or hate or get inspired.
One of Egypt's most isolated town of about 25,000 people mostly of ethnic berber origin speaking the Siwi language, lies 50kms only away from the Libyan border. So historically, it is located in the ancient Libyan desert.
Siwa is home to the Oracle of Amon which was visited by Alexander the Great in 331BCE to confirm if he was the son of Zeus.
It's a small town where donkey are still one of the most popular mode of transport. So you could feel how it was then and now. It seem time had stood still - people wear their own clothing, seldom that you'll find those wearing western clothing. Public transport, aside from donkey carts - are those tuktuks, motorcycle driven carts with devised roofing.
I've stayed at a place just at the central of the town. I don't know, but I have this old west feel of the town center. You know those holywood old dusty west (minus the cowboys) movies -- dusty street lined with taverns, this one though are lined with stores - that don't sell cigarrettes!!! And couple of restaurants, fruits store, and small hotels.
So whenever you go out expect that you'll be whipped with some dusts on your feet -- if you're wearing flipflops of course.
- Pros:Calm, serene, a rest from the material world.
- Cons:Don't expect luxury here.
- In a nutshell:An oasis of serenity.
Siwa is a conservative town compared to most cities in Egypt. You can photograph the sights and most things but not the... more travel advice
How would I describe the small town of Siwa? There's a quiantness in it in an old way, kind of dusty way. The main dusty... more travel advice
June.b's Related Pages
Siwa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Siwa Oasis and Desert Safari"
- "Siwa Oasis"
- "Oasis in the Western Desert"
- "Dates, My Friend?"
- "SIWA'S OASIS"
- "Desert Safari #2"
- "A visit to the oracle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siwa
- Hotels in Siwa
- Transportation in Siwa
- Nightlife in Siwa
- Restaurants in Siwa
- Shopping in Siwa
- Warnings and Dangers in Siwa
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Siwa
- 19 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Siwa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siwa
Photos in SiwaSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Ili Intro, 135 reviews, 571 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairo Intro, 50 reviews, 240 photos
- Luxor Intro, 41 reviews, 200 photos
- Fethiye Intro, 38 reviews, 178 photos
- Goreme Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 35 reviews, 176 photos
- Amasya Intro, 39 reviews, 170 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 22 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Aswan Intro, 31 reviews, 150 photos
- Konya Intro, 30 reviews, 148 photos