"AMASRA" Top 5 Page for this destination Amasra by June.b

Amasra Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 255 photos

Amasra...pretty little town

last week in istanbul - end of september 2009 - nowhere to go so have to pick one between egirdir & amasra juz to relax and escape istanbul for a while, so headed to the huge buyuk otogar, i decided to buy a metrobus ticket to amasra since it is nearer and on the black sea region - so what?

took the night bus - 11:30pm (fare was TRY30 upto Bartin which is the nearest town to my final destination), and so calculating it (and as if i found it hard to calculate) i'll be in amasra at about 6:30am which means i could bide the time in the morning walking around and check-in at any hotel before noon.

phew! i fell down the bus stairs and hurt my butt!

slept during the first hours of travel of the bus heading to Bartin - the town (or city?) where i have to get off and take a dolmush to Amasra.

the bus stopped midway and i was so sleepy but i like to smoke so I did managed to stand and while coming down the stairs i missed the very first plight and fell down on my butt from top to the bottom of the stairs, not so embarrassing ( you bet!) - few people could accomplish that feat you know. i think i damaged something at my back or butt as i find it hard to sit for a long time the following day.

anyhoo, i reached foggy Bartin around 6am and not much people though a restaurant is open and felt hungry so i ordered a tripe soup (i find it bizarre having the innerds of a sheep or cow as a soup in the very early hour of the morning but it's really a good aphrodisiac) along with bread for breakfast. the owner of the small resto leads me to the dolmush. that's the good thing about turkey, juz anyone & everyone is hospitable. the dolmush waited for passengers to fill-up the small transportation and took about half an hour and there we rolled on the scenic route to Amasra which is less than half an hour ride.

arrived in amasra

never regretted coming to this small quaint town - splendid views! such a small town with fascinating scenery.

I loved this place. We were juz in Bodrum a week before, though I enjoyed Bodrum, twas too populated for me with lots of tourists and very commercialized (...and hyped). In contrast, Amasra is not really a party place like Bodrum. It's a quiet town with less tourists (mostly locals) during the end of September. It's not hard to find accommodation though some are pricey but I settled with the one on top of a hill inside what remain of a castle wall or behind it, it's called Kusna Pension (pronounced Kushna). I thought I was the only one in the pension then I heard a couple conversing on the other room beside me, so we were the only people in the pension.

The following day I felt the impact of the felldown from the bus stairs and still uncomfortable until now after more than a week. guess have to see a doctor and take an xray.

• Pros:not very far from istanbul 7-hour bus ride and with really great views
  • Cons:cold in september onwards and not much nightlife for people who love it
  • In a nutshell:one word - pretty
  • Last visit to Amasra: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 10, 2009

Comments

June.b

“Traveling is the best education there is...and the most expensive one, and no graduation. (Quote me)”

Badges & Stats in Amasra