"Antep" Top 5 Page for this destination Gaziantep by June.b
Gaziantep Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 181 photos
Still disputed but the city of Gaziantep is considered to be one of the oldest countinuously inhabited cityies in the world, placing at no. 5 right after Faiyum of Egypt, estimated to be as old as 3650BC.
Gaziantep is popularly known in the old times and at present as Antep, is the 6th most populous city in Turkey with a population of almost 1.4 million people.
In 1921, "Antep" was legally renamed "Gaziantep", meaning "Victorious Antep". It probably is the site of the Hellenistic city of Antiochia ad Taurum.
The city was ruled by Akkadians, Mitannis, Hittites, Neo-Hittites, Assyrians, Urartians, Babylonians, Persians, Macedonians, Parthians, Commagene, Romans, Byzantines, Sassanids, and Arabs.
I flew into Gaziantep from Istanbul Ataturk airport via the cheap fare of Onur Air, it was even cheaper than a bus fare at TL62 at shorter travel time.
I took OnurAir’s shuttle bus service from the airport to the city centre costing TL6 and walked my way from where the bus terminates to my hotel – Ugurlu Hotel – along Istasyon Cadessi.
Gaziantep offers a lot of sights from the castle in the middle of the city, museums, historical bazaars, old mosques, old houses and of course the remarkable Zeugma Museum.
- Pros:So much sights to see.
- Cons:So little time to spend.
- In a nutshell:One of the oldest continuously inhabited cities of the world.
fNeed to buy local handicracts at Gaziantep? Visit any of the historical bedestasn or hanis at the bazaar of the city,... more travel advice
The Zincirli Bedesten, locally known as “black steps bazaar” is one of the is an Ottoman era covered bazaar built in... more travel advice
June.b's Related Pages
Gaziantep Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gaziantep city"
- "City of Gastronomy"
- "GOLDEN HISTORY : ZEUGMA"
- "Mehmet's new Gaziantep page"
- "Antep عنتاب"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gaziantep
- Hotels in Gaziantep
- Transportation in Gaziantep
- Restaurants in Gaziantep
- Shopping in Gaziantep
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gaziantep
- 21 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Gaziantep?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gaziantep
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Ili Intro, 135 reviews, 571 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairo Intro, 50 reviews, 240 photos
- Luxor Intro, 41 reviews, 200 photos
- Fethiye Intro, 38 reviews, 178 photos
- Goreme Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 35 reviews, 176 photos
- Amasya Intro, 39 reviews, 170 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 22 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Province of Palawan Intro, 33 reviews, 157 photos
- Aswan Intro, 31 reviews, 150 photos