"Enchanting Goreme!" Goreme by June.b

Goreme Travel Guide: 512 reviews and 1,590 photos

Back to Stone Age at Goreme, Cappadocia

I came back! ...September 2011.

Approaching the town --- it's like you are being transported to another dimension in time, or maybe another space discovery mission, or your first moon landing, well, not that there were no living organisms, it's the terrain, the rocks formation, the entirely different environ.

Goreme, a small-ish town with a pop. of approx. 2000, in the Cappadocia region with amazing views, mountain range, valleys, cave houses everywhere and lots of interesting and rare sights to see.

A good base for exploring the whole Cappadocian region.

Take the balloon flight to fully appreciate the breath-taking view of the whole region, costs approx. 110 to 160 euro, depends on your travel agent.

Arriving Goreme on the very first day of 2007!

After spending the New Year's eve attending the lively and fun-filled street party at Taksim (Istanbul)... Istanbul Rocks!!!!!..... we flew to Goreme on January 1, 2007.

We arrived at the Kayseri airport and the transport guy we booked with our hotel was there waving the placard with my name on it. Small airport, you won't miss anyone. Twas a 2-hour drive from Kayseri Airport to Goreme and you'll get to see wonderful sights along the way.

Bekir - the owner of Travellers Hotel lead us to our cave room - creepy yet very comfortable, except for the clogged bathroom, everything could have been perfect.

We stayed in Goreme as a base to see most of the sights in the Cappadocian region. We booked the very reasonable tour with the Mr. Bekir - twas a whole day tour, tiring but very enjoyable, comprehensive, with an english-speaking local guide.

If I had the choice...

... I would have stayed a bit longer in Goreme... or maybe ... live in this place for a long time. I like the place - very quiet, serene (..or maybe because we came in winter, might have been very busy during summer).

There are lots of things to do in Cappadocia , though you can really explore the most popular ones in a few days.

Imagining myself living here - no tension, no pressures, no worries .... living a very simple life, back to basics.... would really love to.

We headed to Selcuk after Goreme, yet I would really come back here... hopefully... soon.... one of these days.

AND I DID!!! September 2011, I returned to Goreme and glad I did because I did it differently this time --- on my own --- no guided tours. It wasn't really that hard, yeah it's tiring but it was really rewarding.

I wandered around from Goreme to Cavusin, passing along the Red Valley, hiking up to the rock Hacli church in the Rose Valley, and rolled up and down the rock mountain to Cavusin.

Then, I walked the 5 kms X 2 going to and coming back from the Uchisar Castle -- why did I missed that the first time I was in Goreme? It was really awesome.

...again, I'll be back ...very soon! I'm sure I will.

• Pros:Amazing landscape
  • Cons:Not a chillout place
  • In a nutshell:Simple life!
  • Last visit to Goreme: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2011

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Thanks for the 'virtual tour', June! It's the first time I've stumbled across one of your pages, and it was an enjoyable read!
    Regards
    Cathy

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2010 at 5:04 AM

Lots of contrasts here, from the underground city to the balloon flight. This sounds like a really interesting destination. Great that you stayed in a cave hotel!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2008 at 11:50 PM

I so want to go there, would love to stay at the Hotel. Great tips and photos, so interesting a place.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM

great pictures and practical information - balloon excursion must be incredible. N.

• Knocko's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Going to Goreme in july these pages very helpfull

June.b

“Traveling is the best education there is...and the most expensive one, and no graduation. (Quote me)”

Badges & Stats in Goreme