"Mardin" Mardin by June.b
Mardin Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 204 photos
Mardin is one of those classical city that dates back to 4,000BC. Located in southeastern Turkey and it’s the capital city of Mardin Province.
The city is famous for unique architecture of its old town perched on top of the rock mountain. The arab influence is very evident at both the house designs and the language of most inhabitants. The city was handed from one muslim dynasty to another – from the Umayyads who introduced Islam, to the Abbasids, the Seljuks, and the Artukids who were responsible for the construction of most of Mardin’s historical buildings present today like mosques, medresses, palaces, hans and mansions.
Mardin is a beautiful city with all of its old houses and historical buildings perched in layers on the sides of the rock mountain.
Mardin is a beautiful city with all of its old houses and historical buildings and old houses perched in layers on the sides of the rock mountain.
I did not stay in Mardin as my plan was to stay the whole time in Midyat and did a day trip to Mardin. I took the almost an hour dolmush ride from Midyat to the new part of Mardin and took a minibus up the mountain where the old city is.
Midyat has the same old houses and churches as Mardin.
I enjoyed Mardin very much except for the incident where I was left with no public transport option – it was winter and getting dark when I reached the new town - that I have to take a taxi back to Midyat.
- Pros:Great historical buildings, dramatic setting.
- Cons:Very touristic.
- In a nutshell:Artukid architecture at its best.
While searching for the highlights – mosques, madrasas, churches, bedestans, hamam, etc – of the old part of Mardin, you... more travel advice
Melik Mahmut Mosque, also called Bab’es Sur was built during the 14th century. It is known for its large gate which... more travel advice
June.b's Related Pages
Mardin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "eyrie upon mesopotamian plain and syrian border"
- "Mardin ماردين"
- "wonders of the southeast"
- "A city on the brink"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mardin
- Hotels in Mardin
- Transportation in Mardin
- Restaurants in Mardin
- Warnings and Dangers in Mardin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mardin
- 15 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Mardin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mardin
Photos in MardinSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Ili Intro, 135 reviews, 571 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairo Intro, 50 reviews, 240 photos
- Luxor Intro, 41 reviews, 200 photos
- Fethiye Intro, 38 reviews, 178 photos
- Goreme Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 35 reviews, 176 photos
- Amasya Intro, 39 reviews, 170 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 22 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Province of Palawan Intro, 33 reviews, 157 photos
- Aswan Intro, 31 reviews, 150 photos