"Ma'loula" Top 5 Page for this destination Ma`lula by June.b

Ma`lula Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 206 photos

High Place

Ma'loula is the only place on earth where the western branch of the aramaic language is still spoken. I'ts JC's language for Christ's sake! Interesting place and the catch is -- it's only an hour away from the capital city of Damascus. So I decided to go one morning while wandering around Damascus and thinking of hanging out inside the courtyard of the grand Umayyad Mosque as I was feeling a bit under the weather. Instead, I ended up taking a taxi to the microbus depot which I forgot the name, bought half a kilo of banana to get a change and I feel like becoming hungry after sometime, and boarded on my way to Ma'loula.

I was still a bit woozy as I was feeling the flu from the shivers I got in one of the passageways of Krak Des Chevaliers the night before.

Maa'loula

The microbus waited to get filled and we moved and took the highway for an hour and I started to see a small village, passed by it, and up to what appears from a distance as a canyon. That's where the Maa'loula town is..I silently screamed.

Maa'loula is a small town that leans over huge rocky mountain. Quiet but touristic, there are big buses arriving and several cars, doing a daytrip to the place. The kids are friendly, I was looking for a toilet and the kids pointed me to the mosque just at their back where some more kids are playing in the small courtyard.

I was so stupid going up to the other side of the road which is a little winding and going steeper when actually the way to the St. Teqla monastery, a greek orthodox convent, is on my right and nearer. But anyhoo, I was also keen on seeing the greek catholic St. Sergius monastery which is high on the mountain just beside a 4-star hotel.

The walk

I was sweating from the heat of the sun going up and the road was really steep getting nearer to St. Sergius monastery. After getting in and buying some souvenirs from the boutique inside the monastery, I walked my way past the big hotel and had a cola at the small store along the road. Saw young people walking further down and that's when I discovered that that's the way to the rock gorges that lead to the St. Taqla convent where her remain lies in between or inside a carving on the rocks.

The way passing through the gorge is really fascinating, the sweats and tired legs was worth it after all.

I spent the whole day in Ma'loula, I lost my eyeglasses in one of the places there - because I did something bad, and I find it hard to see clear, but still managed to get back to Damascus late in the afternoon.

• Last visit to Ma`lula: Nov 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 11, 2010

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Great photos and page on Maaloula. When I visited in Dec 2006, it was rainy and foggy!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2010 at 1:35 PM

The only place on earth where Aramaic is still spoken! That does make it unique, but the village and mountain and gorges are spectacular as well.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 6:37 AM

I would have enjoyed that scenery too... And the roads seems to be excellent.....

June.b

“Traveling is the best education there is...and the most expensive one, and no graduation. (Quote me)”

Badges & Stats in Ma`lula

Have you been to Ma`lula?

Latest Activity in Ma`lula