"Krak des Chevaliers" Qal`at al Hisn by June.b

Qal`at al Hisn Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 159 photos

Qal'at Al Husn

Qal'At Al Husn or Krak Des Chevaliers or Hisn Al Akrad...whatever the name is, it's still a beautiful castle.

The number one reason why I want to go to Syria anyways, I wanted to see what T.E. Lawrence or Lawrence of Arabia described as "perhaps the best preserved and most wholly admirable castle in the world". Indeed, it is!

The dramatic location, the enormous size, the view over and on top of the castle, and the various chambers and tunnels inside the castle are just sights to behold.

I took a bus from Hama to Homs, then a microbus that dropped me off right at the gate of the castle. Easy does it.

Amazing view

..and to better soak in the gorgeous atmosphere of the place, I stayed at a hotel right adjacent to the castle on the other side of a hill where my room's balcony overlooks the entirety of the castle and it's surrounds.

A Crusaders Castle

It is a crusaders castle and one of the most preserved medieval military castle, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Coming from a tiring tour of Palmyra the day before, the Qal'at al Husn is a nice and serene place to recharge my almost depleted energy. The place was more laid back and the environs is conducive to a good rest.

That gave me the much needed strength for my next destination -- Ma'lula, but I'd better find a place to stay first in Damascus.

• Last visit to Qal`at al Hisn: Nov 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 30, 2010

Comments

June.b

“Traveling is the best education there is...and the most expensive one, and no graduation. (Quote me)”

Badges & Stats in Qal`at al Hisn

Have you been to Qal`at al Hisn?

Latest Activity in Qal`at al Hisn