"Welcome to Amsterdam, The Netherlands" Amsterdam by Phildagr8
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,233 reviews and 21,443 photos
OK, here's what you gotta do: Get A Map! A good map will have most of the following places highlighted. Check out museums, the infamous 'red light district', see the multiple canals (and maybe get a canal boat tour), try some food (there are multiple bakeries and french fry places), and see some of the buildings/sites.
There's also a "market" that consists of a street with tents on both sides, and it goes for about 5 blocks. You can find almost everything there. It was packed with people. It's Albert Cuyp Straat (street). I took a picture of the street sign for the record.
You'll probably see multiple tents selling the same items for a few Euro's more or less, so walk the entire thing first, take note of the tents you want to come back to, then walk it back and go shopping! Note clothing sizes are different, so either try them on or know your measurements.
There are plenty of street level trains that can take you to different parts of the city!
You can get french fries with almost any topping, but beware that about every topping costs money! Small, Medium and Large, they come to you served in a cone of paper. Be prepared to tell them what topping you want on them. The menu shows mayonnaise as the topping, which seems to be the "cultural thing" to do. The topping is called "saus" and typically costs about 0.40 Euro's. Oh, and they use comma's instead of periods for prices above $1 Euro, just like the menu below shows.
First, just remember that vinegar is an ingredient in ketchup, mustard and mayonaise, so don't let the color make the judgment for you. And second, remember that it's all in euro's.
- Pros:I'd definitely go back. Good food, sites.
- Cons:Dress warm if you go in March.. Know thy weather.
- In a nutshell:Most everything's in walking distance!
Just ask the hotel or taxi where the Red Light District is, and they'll be happy to help. It's a great place to people... more travel advice
This place was great, and the hotel is walking distance from everything. The staff is friendly, and it's not too... more travel advice
Phildagr8's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos
- Plymouth Intro, 18 reviews, 13 photos
- Providence Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos
- Bucharest Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Middleboro Intro, 14 reviews, 4 photos
- Lebanon Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- China Intro, 13 reviews, 4 photos
- Lake Placid Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Long Island Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos