"Coyoacan - Frida Kahlo's home town" Coyoacán by malianrob

Coyoacán Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 144 photos

Coyoacán ('The coyote waterplace' in Nahuatl)

I didnt realize that Coyoacan was so close to Mexico City. I am a big fan of Frida Kahlo and when I found out that we could do a side trip to Coyoacan I was really excited. I could wait to see Frida Kahlo's hometown and especially the Casa Azul.
My favorite part of Mexico City was here in Coyoacan. It really made an impression on my sister and I. Coyoacan is beautiful. I loved the colonial part. My sister said she could see herself living here.

During the Aztec empire Coyoacán was a town of its own and a major center of trade on the southern shore of Lake Texcoco. After the Spanish conquest Hernán Cortés made his home here. Coyoacán remained a separate town until 1950 when it was swallowed up Mexico City.

Coyoacan has different meanings depending on who you speak to but it all revolves around coyotes. The Aztecs named this place Coyoacan because of the animals they saw in this region. This is because of the fact that the Aztecs felt great admiration and respect for all animals, especially for those which were the base of their religion, like the jaguar and the coyote.

• Last visit to Coyoacán: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2008

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM

We will be having a vt meeting in Coyoacán in about 3 weeks time from now :O)

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 7:00 PM

One of my MOST FAVORITE places(Casa Azul/Coyoacan) in all the world, too!! and this afternoon I just put my girlfriend from Heidelberg on the plane to MC and she is going there tomorrow!--wish I could be with her!

• ribbs's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2008 at 9:06 AM

Di you ever finish reading that Frida Kahlo book? It was huge! Great pages, i love all your pictures - R

malianrob

“The brave dont live forever, the cautious dont live at all.”

Badges & Stats in Coyoacán

Have you been to Coyoacán?

Latest Activity in Coyoacán