"Coyoacan - Frida Kahlo's home town" Coyoacán by malianrob
Coyoacán Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 144 photos
I didnt realize that Coyoacan was so close to Mexico City. I am a big fan of Frida Kahlo and when I found out that we could do a side trip to Coyoacan I was really excited. I could wait to see Frida Kahlo's hometown and especially the Casa Azul.
My favorite part of Mexico City was here in Coyoacan. It really made an impression on my sister and I. Coyoacan is beautiful. I loved the colonial part. My sister said she could see herself living here.
During the Aztec empire Coyoacán was a town of its own and a major center of trade on the southern shore of Lake Texcoco. After the Spanish conquest Hernán Cortés made his home here. Coyoacán remained a separate town until 1950 when it was swallowed up Mexico City.
Coyoacan has different meanings depending on who you speak to but it all revolves around coyotes. The Aztecs named this place Coyoacan because of the animals they saw in this region. This is because of the fact that the Aztecs felt great admiration and respect for all animals, especially for those which were the base of their religion, like the jaguar and the coyote.
At first I was told that this was Diego Riveras house but it wasnt. He never lived here. He built this place because... more travel advice
So this used to be the house of the conquistador Hernan Cortez. It is now government offices. I think they said it was... more travel advice
malianrob's Related Pages
Coyoacán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Place of Coyotes"
- "Coyoacan - Frida Kahlo's home town"
- "Coyoacán - Place of the Coyotes"
- "Coyoacan - More than just Frida's House"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coyoacán
- Transportation in Coyoacán
- Nightlife in Coyoacán
- Restaurants in Coyoacán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coyoacán
- 8 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Coyoacán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coyoacán
Photos in CoyoacánSee All Photos (117)
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 73 reviews, 314 photos, 8 travelogues
- Mexico City Intro, 35 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 201 photos, 10 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 32 reviews, 197 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 172 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otavalo Intro, 30 reviews, 138 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montañita Intro, 25 reviews, 143 photos, 7 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 26 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 34 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negril Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 10 travelogues