"A small fishing town" San Felipe by malianrob

San Felipe Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 118 photos

San Felipe

This is another town that we used to frequent often growing up. My parents loved to take us on road trips and San Felipe was on the top of their list.
In the summer it gets very hot here, almost unbearable and the ocean here doesnt cool you down much either because the water is also very warm. Its like sitting in a large pool. Even putting on the airconditioning full blast doesnt seem to help much. Thats how hot it gets here. But I love it.
Founded as a fishing port in 1916 San Felipe still has a thriving shrimp fleet. Tourism has taken over as the town's greatest source of income for the local people.

San Felipe has some of the warmest beaches in the world with water temperature ranging from 68 degrees in December, January & part of February up to 80 degrees in the other parts of the year. Clean white sandy beaches to lay out on.

Driving times to San Felipe:
La Jolla : 5:15
Malibu: 6:45
Las Vegas: 8:00
Phoenix: 7:30
Mexicali: 2:00
Tijuana: 4:00

When you see the arches you will know you have arrived in San Felipe.
When I was little the drive to SanFelipe seemed like an eternity but as soon as I saw the arches I knew the drive was over.
I have been coming to San Felipe for over 25 years and now I bring my kids to enjoy the vacations that my parents used to take me on. The town hasnt changed that much in 25 years. Yes, some things are more modern and they dont run out of food like they used to but over all the town is very much like it used to be when i was little.

We used to come to San Felipe often because it was inexpensive to stay here and eat here.
San Felipe is less of a budget destination than it used to be. Most hotels charge $70 and up per night for a basic room (make sure it's got a good heater if you visit in winter). Rooms at El Capitan Motel at the south edge of town are clean, comfy, and a bargain at $40-$63 for a double.

• Pros:The beaches, the relaxed atmosphere, great food.
  • Cons:the heat can get excessive.
  • In a nutshell:A great little spot.
  • Intro Updated Jul 23, 2006

• Jun 29, 2010 at 10:19 AM

You can drink on the boardwalk of the Malecon (boardwalk). You will note there is a red painted curb. Stay on that side and you are legal. Ask any waiter and they will confirm this law.

malianrob Visits Here Frequently!

malianrob

“The brave dont live forever, the cautious dont live at all.”

Badges & Stats in San Felipe

Have you been to San Felipe?

Latest Activity in San Felipe