Nadi Tourist Trap Tips by malianrob Top 5 Page for this destination

Nadi Tourist Traps: 6 reviews and 5 photos

Nadi Town

Pretty much all of Nadi Town is a tourist trap. I think you should go and walk around and at least check it out. Its convenient because the town is close to Denearau Island were all the resorts are at. But its like being in TJ or something with vendors trying to get you into their store. We didnt experience any sword sellers but we did experience alot of guys trying to get us to buy something and even giving you some sad stories. One guy noticed that Rob was Polynesian and told him not to shop at the Indian stores but to go to were the Fijian owned. Rob let him take him to another store a few blocks down. They were very very very friendly and we never felt threatened at all but it did take us a LONG time to get out of that store. I got a little frustrated and I went walking around by myself. By the time I got back Rob had spent way too much money already in there and they were still trying to sucker him into buying other stuff. They knew our names and I noticed that one of the guys was trying to carve our names into something. I dont even know what it was. I told him that I wasnt planning on purchasing that so I hope he doesnt carve our names. He looked at me like if to say but I already started. I looked at him back like if to say oh well. I wasnt trying to be rude but it was getting ridiculous! They are so sweet and friendly that you dont want to say no but they dont let you. I had to be firm yet nice. Rob wasnt too good at that. The guys even started putting sharks teeth necklaces around our necks and saying they were gifts blah blah blah. I think in the end we ended up paying for them. Then Rob was supposed to receive some change back from them and they asked if they could keep the change to help their village out.

Unique Suggestions: Jacks is a store that they have at the Port and in Nadi Town. there is no pressure to purchase anything but you mught get followed around in the store. I didnt get the feeling that they thought that we were going to steal but they wanted to make sure that if we had a question about anything at all that they would be there to answer it. Once I got something that I liked they quickly gave me a little basket to keep on shopping. Jacks has a bunch of stores throughout the island. Sometimes its alittle more pricey but less problem. This was where I bought most of my gifts for my friends and co workers.

Fun Alternatives: If you go in the other direction to Lautoka you wont get harrassed as much and things are less expensive. It was worth it to check out this little town. Although it appeared to be alittle bigger than Nadi. ( I think) I preferred to come here. I was left alone. I felt safe and there was no pressure.

• Updated Aug 15, 2008

malianrob

“The brave dont live forever, the cautious dont live at all.”

Badges & Stats in Nadi