"Machu Picchu - at last" Machu Picchu by malianrob
Machu Picchu Travel Guide: 693 reviews and 1,964 photos
It had been a dream of mine to go to Machu Picchu for so long. I was supposed to go last year and the year before that but something would always happen and prevented me from going.
It was even better than I thought it would be and I hope to come back someday with my children so that they can experience the beauty, the people and the history found here.
They say that Machu Picchu is the jewel of South America. I have to say that I agree...at least so far. I havent seen all of South America but I am on my way to do so.
One of Machu Picchu's primary functions was astronomical observatory. The Intihuatana stone (meaning 'Hitching Post of the Sun') has been shown to be a precise indicator of the date of the two equinoxes and other significant celestial periods. The Intihuatana (also called the Saywa or Sukhanka stone) is designed to hitch the sun at the two equinoxes, not at the solstice.
At midday on March 21st and September 21st, the sun stands almost directly above the pillar, creating no shadow at all. At this precise moment the sun "sits with all his might upon the pillar" and is for a moment "tied" to the rock. At these periods, the Incas held ceremonies at the stone in which they "tied the sun" to halt its northward movement in the sky. There is also an Intihuatana alignment with the December solstice (the summer solstice of the southern hemisphere), when at sunset the sun sinks behind Pumasillo (the Puma's claw), the most sacred mountain of the western Vilcabamba range, but the shrine itself is primarily equinoctial.
The Spaniards never found Machu Picchu, even though they suspected its existence.
malianrob's Related Pages
Machu Picchu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Inca Trail"
- "Machu Picchu"
- "Magical Machu Picchu in Rainy Season"
- "Lost City of the Incas"
- "This is what we call sharing on the Inca Trail"
- "The mythical Inca city at the end of El Camino"
- "Machu Picchu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Machu Picchu
- Hotels in Machu Picchu
- Transportation in Machu Picchu
- Nightlife in Machu Picchu
- Restaurants in Machu Picchu
- Shopping in Machu Picchu
- Warnings and Dangers in Machu Picchu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Machu Picchu
- 1 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Machu Picchu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Machu Picchu
Photos in Machu PicchuSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 73 reviews, 314 photos, 8 travelogues
- Mexico City Intro, 35 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 201 photos, 10 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 32 reviews, 197 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 172 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otavalo Intro, 30 reviews, 138 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monta˝ita Intro, 25 reviews, 143 photos, 7 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 26 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 34 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negril Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 10 travelogues