"Atacames" Atacames by malianrob
Atacames Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 58 photos
We drove from Quito to Atamcames. It took us about four hours but the drive was great. By bus it would have been about 7 hours. There was no traffic and the road was pretty good. Thats a big deal because some of the roads arent very good here.
The weather was very different from in Quito. Quito tends to be much cooler because it is so much higher in elevation. Atacames is warm and humid. Ecuador has warm coastal weather all year round.
Atacames is a beach town located on Ecuador's Northern Pacific coast. It is located in the province of Esmeraldas, approximately 30 kilometers away from the capital of that province, which is also called Esmeraldas.
In the centuries after Spanish conquest, some slave ships came from Africa. In 1553 a ship carrying slaves from Panama to Peru was stranded on Esmeralda, and the 25 slaves on board managed to escape from their captors. Today Afro-Ecuadoreans make up a large portion of the population in Atacames.
- Pros:inexpensive, great weather, good food,people very friendly
- In a nutshell:Relaxing beach town
What do people usually do at the beach, eat drink and sunbathe. When I came, there wasnt much of a surf but that was ok.... more travel advice
malianrob's Related Pages
Atacames Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Atacames
- Hotels in Atacames
- Transportation in Atacames
- Nightlife in Atacames
- Restaurants in Atacames
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Atacames
- 3 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Atacames?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atacames
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 73 reviews, 314 photos, 8 travelogues
- Mexico City Intro, 35 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 201 photos, 10 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 32 reviews, 197 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 172 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montañita Intro, 25 reviews, 143 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otavalo Intro, 30 reviews, 138 photos, 7 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 26 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 34 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negril Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 10 travelogues