"Cayambe" Cayambe by malianrob
Cayambe Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 72 photos
Cayambe is my moms home town . It is located in the middle of the road between Quito and Otavalo. Most of the time this little town is over looked.
One of the most popular things to do here and what Cayambe is known for is its bizcochos and queso de hoja. They are yummy. Cayambe is an important center for cattle, dairy and the cultivation of roses.
Cayambe is located Northeast of Quito, about 65 kilometers and is located 25km west of Otavalo. Cayambe also has the third highest mountain/volcano in Ecuador and it is the highest point where the equator passes through. It is 18997 feet high. It is also a still active volcano
Indigenous tribes from all over Northern Ecuador go to Cayamber to celebrate the March equinox and the summer solstice in July. The villagers dress in traditional clothing, many wearing masks go to the middle of town dancing and singing. Then from the town the people go on to the pyramids and celebrate some more with food and entertainment.
- Pros:Queso de hoja and bizcochos!!!
My cousin asked me if I wanted to see the biggest oven to make bizcochos here in Cayambe. I said sure lets check it out.... more travel advice
“QUESO DE HOJA” is a special cheese, which is originated from Cayambe. It is the ideal complement for the bizcochos.... more travel advice
malianrob's Related Pages
Cayambe Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Cayambe
- Hotels in Cayambe
- Transportation in Cayambe
- Restaurants in Cayambe
- Shopping in Cayambe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cayambe
- 4 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Cayambe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cayambe
Photos in CayambeSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 73 reviews, 314 photos, 8 travelogues
- Mexico City Intro, 35 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 201 photos, 10 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 32 reviews, 197 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 172 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montañita Intro, 25 reviews, 143 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otavalo Intro, 30 reviews, 138 photos, 7 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 26 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 34 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negril Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 10 travelogues