"Montanita..." Top 5 Page for this destination Montañita by malianrob
Montañita Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 313 photos
I had heard so much about Montanita that I knew I had to come here. My cousin Henry was going down to Guayaquil for vacation and I decided to come along too. I had family there that I wanted to see and new family that I wanted to meet. To my surprise he said that we were going to the beaches and one place we were going to was Montanita. I was so excited!
This place is so different from most of Ecuador. I loved it! Like others have mentioned it has this surf, bohemian, beachy flavor to it that is so awesome. The people are very laid back, friendly, and even warm and inviting. The food is awesome and inexpensive and if you love seafood this is the place to be. The street food was probably the best for me. There were vendors selling corn, meats, chicken, ceviche, bolos...everything you can think of and it was all good. There are quite a few restaurants in the little town that arent too bad but the street food was the best.
My cousin said that we came at the best time here to Montanita. I think it was high season, I am not sure but what I do know is that it was beautiful. The weather was hot and humid. Sunblock was a must! It rained a little everyday but not enough to spoil the trip. Infact the rain was sometimes alittle welcomed because of the heat. The rain offered alittle bit of comfort.
Mostly people walked around in their bathing suits, shorts, or anything that was loose and comfortable.
I asked my parents if they had ever heard of Montanita. They said No. Basically only in the past ten years or so has this place because a well known surf town. Prior to that it was a hidden treasure that only a handful of people knew about or appreciated.
The streets are still mostly unpaved, there are no big resorts here, there are tons of hostels some better than others and you are kind of roughing it alittle here except that there is running water.
I have learned that most people either love Montanita or hate it. I was one of those who loved it.
One morning I got up early and I was having my cafe con leche as I observed how things function around here. The guys... more travel advice
I am not sure who Ebenezer is but he has a few restaurants around the town and on the outskirts of town. The food is so... more travel advice
- Surfing of course
- Travel light to the coast
- See All Relax as much as you can
- See All Ok, so lets talk about the drugs
- The night time shows in the streets
malianrob's Related Pages
Montañita Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A land of real and fake surfers"
- "Even birds like surfing in Montañita!"
- "Great Beach, Great Food, But..."
- "A surfer place without surfing - Sans surfer"
- "Montanita, Ecuador's Surfing Mecca"
- "MONTANITA, A CAPTIVATING PLACE!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montañita
- Hotels in Montañita
- Transportation in Montañita
- Nightlife in Montañita
- Restaurants in Montañita
- Shopping in Montañita
- Warnings and Dangers in Montañita
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montañita
- 25 Reviews
- 143 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Montañita?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montañita
Photos in MontañitaSee All Photos (143)
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 73 reviews, 314 photos, 8 travelogues
- Mexico City Intro, 35 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 201 photos, 10 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 32 reviews, 197 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 172 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montañita Intro, 25 reviews, 143 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otavalo Intro, 30 reviews, 138 photos, 7 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 26 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 34 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negril Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 10 travelogues