"Montanita..." Top 5 Page for this destination Montañita by malianrob

Montañita Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 313 photos

Family vacation to Montanita

I had heard so much about Montanita that I knew I had to come here. My cousin Henry was going down to Guayaquil for vacation and I decided to come along too. I had family there that I wanted to see and new family that I wanted to meet. To my surprise he said that we were going to the beaches and one place we were going to was Montanita. I was so excited!

This place is so different from most of Ecuador. I loved it! Like others have mentioned it has this surf, bohemian, beachy flavor to it that is so awesome. The people are very laid back, friendly, and even warm and inviting. The food is awesome and inexpensive and if you love seafood this is the place to be. The street food was probably the best for me. There were vendors selling corn, meats, chicken, ceviche, bolos...everything you can think of and it was all good. There are quite a few restaurants in the little town that arent too bad but the street food was the best.

My cousin said that we came at the best time here to Montanita. I think it was high season, I am not sure but what I do know is that it was beautiful. The weather was hot and humid. Sunblock was a must! It rained a little everyday but not enough to spoil the trip. Infact the rain was sometimes alittle welcomed because of the heat. The rain offered alittle bit of comfort.
Mostly people walked around in their bathing suits, shorts, or anything that was loose and comfortable.

I asked my parents if they had ever heard of Montanita. They said No. Basically only in the past ten years or so has this place because a well known surf town. Prior to that it was a hidden treasure that only a handful of people knew about or appreciated.
The streets are still mostly unpaved, there are no big resorts here, there are tons of hostels some better than others and you are kind of roughing it alittle here except that there is running water.
I have learned that most people either love Montanita or hate it. I was one of those who loved it.

• Last visit to Montañita: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 20, 2008

malianrob

“The brave dont live forever, the cautious dont live at all.”

Badges & Stats in Montañita

Have you been to Montañita?

Latest Activity in Montañita